Profile Picture

56 Montclair w/312 automatic shaking when put in gear

Posted By TheWitz 3 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Normally aspirated (42 reputation)Normally aspirated (42 reputation)Normally aspirated (42 reputation)Normally aspirated (42 reputation)Normally aspirated (42 reputation)Normally aspirated (42 reputation)Normally aspirated (42 reputation)Normally aspirated (42 reputation)Normally aspirated (42 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Years Ago
This car was running smoothly but it lacked power. We found low compression on some cyls. The engine was pulled and a local shop rebuild it. The engine has much better power now, but the issue is this: At idle, the engine is running smoothly, but shift into drive and the car starts shaking. It wasn't shaking before the engine was removed. The transmission and torque converter were not removed when the engine was pulled. When stepping on the gas, applying power, the shaking is not noticeable. It's just at idle that it is really noticeable. A whole lot of shakin' goin' on. The transmission is the 3 speed automatic that starts out in 2nd and has no overdrive.

Any thoughts on what could be causing the shaking?
We're trying to figure out if it's the engine, once it is under a load when shifting into drive, that needs an adjustment, or is it the transmission or torque converter.
Thanks.
Cliff
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Check valve adjustment, dial in the carb.
MoonShadow
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Double check the firing order.

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

MoonShadow, 292 w/McCulloch, 28 Chrysler Roadster, 354 Hemi)
Manchester, New Hampshire
55blacktie
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Last Active: 8 days ago
Was it rebuilt to OEM specs?
TheWitz
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Normally aspirated (42 reputation)Normally aspirated (42 reputation)Normally aspirated (42 reputation)Normally aspirated (42 reputation)Normally aspirated (42 reputation)Normally aspirated (42 reputation)Normally aspirated (42 reputation)Normally aspirated (42 reputation)Normally aspirated (42 reputation)

As far as I know, the engine was rebuilt to specs, however the pistons are now 30 thousandths oversized. I pointed the shop that did the rebuild to website ford-y-blocks.com where they ordered what they needed to do the work.

As far as firing order, I'll check, but the engine is running strong at idle and on acceleration. I would think if the firing order were off, it would be shaking all the time and lack power. 
PF Arcand
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
Idle speed to low when in  gear?..  A vacuum leak?

Paul
TheWitz
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Idle speed was on the high side when it was first put in gear. Lowered the idle a little with no change to the shaking.

As far as vacuum leaks, that is a possibility I will look into. Thanks.

One other item as it pertains to vacuum. The power brake booster was not removed when the engine was pulled. The brake line was disconnected and the four bolts holding the brake booster were removed and the unit was held to the fender well so it was out of the way. Now that it's all back together, the brake pedal is hard and there is no power braking. Vacuum was present at the booster and past the check valve on the booster. I believe there's a diaphragm inside the booster. If it's damaged that could explain the hard pedal and a vacuum leak. I'll try capping that line as a test to see if the shaking goes away when I shift into gear..
Ted
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 days ago
Assuming the engine is in good condition and there are no vacuum leaks, this sounds like a tuning issue.  I’ll suggest revisiting the ignition timing and idle fuel mixture settings.  If necessary, block off all the external vacuum sources to eliminate that as the source of the rough idle.  This could be as simple as being too lean when putting the transmission into gear.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

junkyardjeff
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
Make sure its running on all 8 and look for vacumn leaks.

Butchering up everything I can get my hands on in Dayton Ohio
oldcarmark
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Weeks Ago
What Carburetor are You using?

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg

Reading This Topic

Site Meter