Profile Picture

Australian answer to the T5 swap?

Posted By dennis22 3 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (412 reputation)Supercharged (412 reputation)Supercharged (412 reputation)Supercharged (412 reputation)Supercharged (412 reputation)Supercharged (412 reputation)Supercharged (412 reputation)Supercharged (412 reputation)Supercharged (412 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Hi fellas,

Just thinking about trans swaps and I thought I’d ask the question to see if any Australians have had any success with 5 speed manual transmission swaps on the Y block. I’m pretty sure it’s almost impossible to get a hold of a suitable 93 T5 and earlier. I’m wondering if any trans in the Australian market has been adapted successfully?

I have a 59 F100 so I need something with the shifter closer to the front of the trans.

Anyway, any advice is welcome!

Thanks, Dennis.

56 F100 - 272 Y Block
NSW, Australia.

NoShortcuts
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Dennis.  These are some options available from ModernDriveLine.  The T-5 prices will make you wince whether you just go for the adapter to change the shifter location OR for their complete transmission.  The latest T-5s are the culmination of numerous improvements since the units were originally offered in the early '80s.

IF you comb the MDL web site, there's much information about the improvements made in the T-5s since originally offered.

Click the link below . . .
https://www.moderndriveline.com/product-category/transmissions/5-speed-transmissions/t5/ford-t5-5-speed-transmissions/

Hope this helps!  Smile

NoShortcuts
a.k.a. Charlie Brown
near Syracuse, New York
FORD DEARBORN
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
I agree MDL is an excellent source for items to make this conversion and you may need a wheelborrow full of cash. There's several ways do do this. As mentioned above, all T5's are not created equal. I came across a T5 from a 90 Mustang GT which were the strongest T5's of that time. A Mustang clutch is required so the flywheel will need to be replaced (Mummert) or drilled for that. A special throw-out bearing hub will be needed (Mummert).  If you use an adapter to mate the trans to the Y-block bell housing, that moves the trans back an additional 1 inch. That required swapping the input shaft with a shaft from a 95 Mustang T5 which made up for the t" adapter. MDL offers an extension housing to move the shifter several inches forward so it isn't at the edge of the seat. Then the driveshaft needed to be custom made to the proper length. I think I remembered the important basics to make this happen. Please keep in mind this isn't the only way to do this, just the way I did it. It helped a lot that someone gave me a trans that needed rebuilding.  Often folks discard things that are not suitable for a new more powerful build.  All that said, I'm very glad I did this. It vastly improved the driving dynamics and pleasure of my 64 F100 and overdrive included. . Like driving a sports car.  Good lick, hope this helps, JEFF...............

64F100 57FAIRLANE500
ian57tbird
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)

Last Active: 3 days ago
Hi Dennis
I think EB through to EL Falcons might have got the T5. There should be a few of those out there for sale. They wont be free over here though.
dennis22
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (412 reputation)Supercharged (412 reputation)Supercharged (412 reputation)Supercharged (412 reputation)Supercharged (412 reputation)Supercharged (412 reputation)Supercharged (412 reputation)Supercharged (412 reputation)Supercharged (412 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Thanks Charlie,
Yep that’s some serious cash, looks like a great product though!

Jeff- thanks for all that good info. The MDL would be a good option if I had the cash.

Ian- I think there were quite a few T5 on Australian cars but I don’t think there is one the same as the early mustang or s10 boxes with the shifter forwards. I’ll keep searching though.

Thanks, Dennis.

56 F100 - 272 Y Block
NSW, Australia.

2721955meteor
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago
I used the truck bell housing(from then 4speed crash  box) had the face where the trans boltsIthink it was 3/8s. then made a adaptor to make the bore for the t5 is correct then made sure the pilot barring does not put thrust to crank. then I purchased the disc only for the t5used the clutch  pressure plate with car ,or light truck and flywheel, used the original throwout bearing. had to drill and tap the inside and bolt 2 from the inside. wish I had kept  more info . the truck has bin complete for 3 years with no issues. removal would entail trans and housing come out together. we Canadians are short on cash ,long on never give up

Reading This Topic

Site Meter