Profile Picture

LED tail lights

Posted By DryLakesRacer 3 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
In a conversation with other Ford owners on another site one was trying to figure out how to make a circle of LED's. Another told about using Brightstar super bright low power replacement 1157's in Bright red. I bought a pair thru Amazon for $17 +tax and with free shipping had them in 1-1/2 days from near San Paulo Brazil. USPS could learn something. No change to the flasher only changing the rears and I have the reflector stop/turn conversion which may help. When living near South Little Saigon in Orange County Ca. you need all the help you can find. Photo is just the tail lights not the stops..

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
yblock57
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (240 reputation)Supercharged (240 reputation)Supercharged (240 reputation)Supercharged (240 reputation)Supercharged (240 reputation)Supercharged (240 reputation)Supercharged (240 reputation)Supercharged (240 reputation)Supercharged (240 reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
Wow, that really makes a huge difference.

What reflector modification did you make to the housing?

Kent — Round Rock, TX
'56 F-100  | '56 Crown Vic  |  '57 Fairlaine 500  |  '57 Thunderbird

DryLakesRacer
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

None. The housings were replacement chrome ones 2 years ago. I have read where painting the white helps too. They are the red LED’s as recommended not the white.

MoonShadow
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
I tried some of the replacement 1157 led's a few years back but wasn't happy with them. They put out more light if you are looking at them straight on from a ways back. I guess on the road that helps with vehicles behind you but I was disappointed. I wondered if one of those strip lights could be coiled to fit behind the lens but haven't tried it. I've seen sheets listed on ALIBABA that can be cut to fit but I wasn't sure enough to order them.

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

MoonShadow, 292 w/McCulloch, 28 Chrysler Roadster, 354 Hemi)
Manchester, New Hampshire
yblock57
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (240 reputation)Supercharged (240 reputation)Supercharged (240 reputation)Supercharged (240 reputation)Supercharged (240 reputation)Supercharged (240 reputation)Supercharged (240 reputation)Supercharged (240 reputation)Supercharged (240 reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
CASCO offers the LED board to fit behind the lens. Standard and Sequential setup.

Here's the '56:

Standard LED

Sequential LED

Pretty pricy!

Kent — Round Rock, TX
'56 F-100  | '56 Crown Vic  |  '57 Fairlaine 500  |  '57 Thunderbird

Gene Purser
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
I bought the Brightstar bulbs for my '38 Ford on the recommendation of the post on the "other forum". The '38 has small teardrop shaped lights and need all the illumination they can get. The Brightstar bulbs really work well. I also have LED strips in the back window to increase my chances of being seen. They have the brake/signalhttp://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/94ce8827-bd15-4e74-93c8-6a0b.jpg light function in them, too. I'm going to order some for the Mercury wagon lights in the '55.
paul2748
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Just received a set of the iBrightstar red led's  (Amazon) and put them in my 54.  BIG difference.  I'm a believer

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

DryLakesRacer
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Just to add a little more to these. I replaced the complete tail light units 2 yrs ago, the spring contacts are different from stock. For some reason the soldered ends of the LED’s allowed one of the spring contacts to slip off causing a ground blowing the flasher fuse.
A fix was to do a little bending of the spring contacts to be better centered with needle nose pliers and carefully with a drill make a detent in the solder of each contact of the bulb. Careful being the key word here..In my mind problem solved in a very tight area.
For a change a fellow/friend on the HAMB gave me a set of Lee taillight lenses. First custom part on my car. They are much brighter than they show especially the brake/turn lights

Reading This Topic

Site Meter