Profile Picture

Oil pump spring

Posted By Bjmayberry2 3 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Normally aspirated (37 reputation)Normally aspirated (37 reputation)Normally aspirated (37 reputation)Normally aspirated (37 reputation)Normally aspirated (37 reputation)Normally aspirated (37 reputation)Normally aspirated (37 reputation)Normally aspirated (37 reputation)Normally aspirated (37 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Yesterday
I recently took my oil pump apart and found a bolt in the pressure spring. Couple of questions, maybe three.
1 Is there a spring tension spec on a Y Block oil pump pressure spring?
2 Is there a source for just the spring on a Y Block oil pump?
3 Is the spring the same for either type of oil Y Block oil  pump?

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/28143c43-b5e8-4b23-af04-586.jpeg

B.J. Mayberry

Old Guy with Trucks
Ted
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Here is a link to a past thread showing the specifications for both the spur gear and gerotor oil pumps.  These specs came from the factory service manuals but the checking length for the gerotor spring tension is suspect.
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/FindPost22736.aspx 

I’m not aware of a source for just the oil pump springs.  The Melling K-56 rebuild kits I use for the gerotor pumps do come with a new spring.  For a performance application I will shim those springs approximately 0.100”-0.125” just to increase the maximum available oil pressure.

The pump springs are different between the two styles of pumps.  Here’s an excerpt from the parts manual showing the two different springs.
 http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/127b9df5-5ca6-479d-90cf-39e4.jpg 

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

DryLakesRacer
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
If you had a gauge.. what was your pressure? Thanks

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
55blacktie
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
Ted, at what performance level would you shim the spring?
Ted
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
55blacktie (2/1/2021)
Ted, at what performance level would you shim the spring?

Those engines equipped with aluminum heads and/or those that are going to be run at 6000 rpm or more.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Reading This Topic

Site Meter