Profile Picture

porting exhaust ports? C1TE heads

Posted By mikeT 3 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (124 reputation)Supercharged (124 reputation)Supercharged (124 reputation)Supercharged (124 reputation)Supercharged (124 reputation)Supercharged (124 reputation)Supercharged (124 reputation)Supercharged (124 reputation)Supercharged (124 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
Hi!
Getting ready to port my C1TE heads for my build. What is the preferred exhaust gasket to port too?
I have headers 1 5/8" I am doing the heads by Tim mc master's write up about doing the truck heads for hot street use .
Seems the pics I can find use the square style port?
55blacktie
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
Y-blocks don't use exhaust manifold gaskets.
2721955meteor
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
55blacktie (1/18/2021)
Y-blocks don't use exhaust manifold gaskets.

THEY DO  NOW EVERT OH GASKET KIT HAS THEM ,THEY WORK WELL,USE GRAD 8 BOLTS 3/8 HARDENEDFLAT WASHERS
DryLakesRacer
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

If you can get the bolts with the 3/8” thread and with either 3/8” or 7/16” head and the heavy steel flange use them especially on 4 and 8 at the two rears. The hook wrenches really help... I like the gaskets but check the cap screws once a month

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
Dobie
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)

If you use gaskets be careful not to overtighten the bolts. The flanges are easily cracked by overtightening when using gaskets.
darrell
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
they came with none and never leaked.they say using a gasket increases the chance of cracking.dont know if thats true or not.
Ted
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 days ago
mikeT (1/18/2021)
Hi!
Getting ready to port my C1TE heads for my build. What is the preferred exhaust gasket to port too?
I have headers 1 5/8", I am doing the heads by Tim Macmaster's write up about doing the truck heads for hot street use.
Seems the pics I can find use the square style port?

Using one of the exhaust manifold gaskets supplied in the Best Gasket set is the preferred gasket to use as a template for porting the exhaust ports on the Y heads.

Here’s a link to an older thread discussing some exhaust porting attributes but the pictures on that particular post are no longer viewable.
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/FindPost46291.aspx

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Rono
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
I've used Stage 8 Locking fasteners on my headers in my 56 Customline. Work great. They cannot loosen up.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/4a19e870-e870-4f63-a0a4-db5b.jpg  Ron Lane,  Meridian, ID

Joe-JDC
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)

Last Active: 37 minutes ago
Personally, I prefer to keep the exhaust port shape similar to the Ford shape, but work the three sides opposite the rounded water passage in the floor of the port.  However in extreme builds, it can be worked out if you are careful.  Another warning is not to take the guide boss out or the vane in front of the guide.  Only smooth it. If you try to square the floor, you will find water in some of these heads.  Here are a couple of ports that worked well to the 460 hp level on a 303 CI Y we ran at EMC.  Joe-JDChttp://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/8f76e655-2e98-42b5-9b86-6032.jpghttp://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/87144430-9c95-41eb-a52c-4b8e.jpghttp://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/bd1c1a8f-6efe-4586-8ce5-c91f.jpghttp://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/99bdb24a-c7bd-47f9-9a1e-bc82.jpg

JDC
mikeT
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (124 reputation)Supercharged (124 reputation)Supercharged (124 reputation)Supercharged (124 reputation)Supercharged (124 reputation)Supercharged (124 reputation)Supercharged (124 reputation)Supercharged (124 reputation)Supercharged (124 reputation)

Thanks to everyone! Like they say a picture is worth a thousand words! Mike

Reading This Topic

Site Meter