Profile Picture

A Disappointing look at the '57 Ford International site..

Posted By PF Arcand 3 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

A Disappointing look at the '57 Ford International site..

Author
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Month
I took a brief look at the '57 Ford International site a few days ago..Long ago, I was registered with the previous 1957 Ford.com. site. Unfortuntately, it never worked at all well & was discontinued.. Anyway, in the discussion area of the current site, I was quite disappointed to note that several of the postings were about "ditching" their original Y-block engines, in favour of a variety of other engines, some possibly not even Ford built.. I have to assume that many of these people haven't been informed or become aware of the more recent engine upgrades & knowledge, with respect to our favorite engine.. It would be great if someone of influence, would try to dissuade some of these turncoats from ruining the originality of their '57 Fords. After all, 1957 was the peak year in performance, before Ford unfortunately decided to detune & relegate the engine to being it's base V-8.. . Any thoughts on this?    

Paul
Florida_Phil
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
I could be wrong, but I believe most Y-Block devotees had some experience with them in the past.  The first car I drove was my Dad's 1957 Ford Custom with a 272. My first Hot Rod was a 1956 Victoria.  My best friend drove a hot rod 1954 Ford.  We didn't have much money, Y-Blocks were cheap and would spin the tires for a block, which was all we cared about back then. When I went to college, my best friend became an electrician.  I still remember the night I raced my 56 Victoria against my Buddy's new Galaxie 390 4 speed. He went by me so fast I thought my engine died. It didn't take long before I bought a 1960 Starliner with a FE big block. After that it was 289s, 390s, 406s, 427s, CJs, 429s and 460s.  If Ford built it, I bought it.  I'm driving a new Explorer now.

Over the years, I have had a number of Y-Block cars.  My TBird has one now.  I still love those old engines.  If I had not had those memories as a kid, would I love them still?  Most likely not.  People who wish to swap out their Y-Blocks don't have the same connection that we do.   Times change.  How many years will it take before a Tesla becomes a classic to someone in the future?  What will become of our old cars when you can only buy gas in a drug store?  Hopefully, someone will put a battery in my TBird so they can enjoy it like I do.   Rolleyes

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

Hoosier Hurricane
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 29 minutes ago
Look at the title of the "club".  1957 Fords International.  They make no reference to maintaining the cars as stock, either in appearance or mechanicals.  They are interested in 1957 Fords, period.  If you don't like their website, don't visit it.

John - "The Hoosier Hurricane"
http://www.y-blocksforever.com/avatars/johnf.jpg
slumlord444
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
I have to agree with Hoosier Hurricane. I'm as crazy about 57 Fords as anyone. Still have the 57 T Bird I bought in '65 when I was 21 with a hopped up 312. Back in the day I had a 57 2 door hardtop 312, a Custom 300 two door sedan with a 292  and later a 390, and a two door station wagon with a 312 with the blower cam. Their website is for all 57 Fords. The T Bird sites recognize original and modified cars. This is a Y block sight. My personal preference is a Y block in a Y block car but I appreciate and enjoy them all. Back in 57 and today cars are made to be driven and people modify them as soon as they get them. My 2003 Dakota that I bought new is stock but has a K&N filter system and a Magnaflo Cat Back dual exhaust system. Most of us car guys appreciate them all. With all the division in this country today I hate to see people get stupid picky about cars. I was on a site a while back that is about traditional street rods and customs. I don't own one but I do like them and have an interest in them. I made a comment on a thread about flat paint jobs and I made a comment on how I painted my Mustang with flat black Rustolium spray cans. I got an email from the moderator making it clear that you are not allowed to even mention anything but traditional street rods and customs and specificly not Mustangs or Muscle cars. Lets be adults and play nice.
panel driver
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (300 reputation)Supercharged (300 reputation)Supercharged (300 reputation)Supercharged (300 reputation)Supercharged (300 reputation)Supercharged (300 reputation)Supercharged (300 reputation)Supercharged (300 reputation)Supercharged (300 reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
I like having the original engine type in the car/truck.  You can probably put any type of engine in anything. But to me it looks so cool to 
have a y block in the correct vehicle.  We can still build decent horsepower and torque in these engines. I like having people look at it 
and trying to figure out what engine is. Just my opinion.  Joe 

Located in Harford County Maryland 
PF Arcand
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Well, I asked for opinions..& I got'em.. I guess what I wasn't entirely clear about was, I wonder if some of the people planning to dump their Y-Blocks had no idea of the progress that has been made in recent years, with respect to their '57s original basic engine.. I don't expect that every resto or rebuild will be totally original or stock, but retaining the original basic engine would seem to be a somewhat desirable feature..    

Paul
slumlord444
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
It is a desirable feature and my personal preference but I appreciate them all. The 57 Ford site is just not for you if have no interest in non Y block engines. I like it because a lot of the mechanicals are the same.To each his own.
KULTULZ
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
I wonder if some of the people planning to dump their Y-Blocks had no idea of the progress that has been made in recent years, with respect to their '57s original basic engine

This is the thing. If one does a conversion, where does the Y-BLOCK go? Usually to the scrapper.

I had a buddy re-doing a nice 57. He decided to go 351C for power. Simple bolt-in, no damage to the car. Put the 312 on the floor. Came back a few weeks later and he had sent the 312 take-out complete to the scrapper.

As long as the swap does not hurt the car and can be easily be brought back to stock, no harm, no foul (IM0). It's when it goes to SBC is what gripes me.

With the shortage of FYB parts, it is a shame to just toss them.

FORD DEARBORN
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
Our favorite engines don't have multiple pages in speed catalogs filled with all the popular performance parts. We have to figure out issues, improvements and source parts to move forward. I believe this is what makes these engines, among many many other things, very rewarding and satisfying to us members on this forum.  It seems many folks lately want instant gratification. Like, buy parts, bolt them on or pay someone else to bolt them on and then go drive without much concern as to how and why.  As mentioned above, the 57 Ford Club is limited by virtue of it's title but the Y-block is always turning a new corner.  Until the speed catalogs become filled with generic electric drive trains that will do the quarter in just a few seconds, this site will rock!

64F100 57FAIRLANE500
PF Arcand
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Kultulz has hit the nail on the head, it's not just the engine switch that's the problem, it's the original often going to scrap that's the real loss...

Paul

Reading This Topic

Site Meter