Profile Picture

Fuel System priming

Posted By Brent 3 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (392 reputation)Supercharged (392 reputation)Supercharged (392 reputation)Supercharged (392 reputation)Supercharged (392 reputation)Supercharged (392 reputation)Supercharged (392 reputation)Supercharged (392 reputation)Supercharged (392 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
I am nearing initial startup. Besides the new engine, I have installed a new fuel tank fuel lines and pump. Is there a way to manually prime the fuel system?

.150 Stroked Y-Block:327.25 ci @ >1hp per ci
paul2748
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
I use either starter fluid in the carb or pour a little bit of gas down the carb so the engine will start so the pump will pull gas up.

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

Ted
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 days ago
I will use a small funnel and fill the carburetor bowls through the vent openings with fuel.  Assuming the timing is set right, then a couple pumps of gas and after letting that vaporize within the intake for about five seconds, the engine typically starts right up and then the fuel pump goes to work to keep the carburetor or carburetors filled.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

darrell
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
theres a mechanic in his 80s now built and raced y blocks in his day.done a lot of flathead work.years ago hes trying to start a rebuilt in a 56 ford theres a lot of moonshine in his area and he drank his share anyway hes poured some gas down the carb a few times and he knows once more and the think is going to start but those standing around dont so out comes the bottle and he pours a drop of the good stuff down and away it goes.that story went around for a long time.
Tedster
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
My dad called that "hot runnin' torpedo juice". He served on Navy subs and they ran on alcohol. He said some of the sailors would get into trouble with that stuff, because it isn't moonshine, it might have been methanol which destroys the optic nerve if consumed.
panel driver
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (300 reputation)Supercharged (300 reputation)Supercharged (300 reputation)Supercharged (300 reputation)Supercharged (300 reputation)Supercharged (300 reputation)Supercharged (300 reputation)Supercharged (300 reputation)Supercharged (300 reputation)

Last Active: 10 hours ago
great story darrell.

Located in Harford County Maryland 
Pete 55Tbird
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
I just started my 55Tbird after not running it for 3 months. It took me three times of pouring gas into the Holly 600 to get the
fuel pump to fill the glass bowl on the filter and the bowls of the carb. The engine would start but no gas was being pumped
by the empty fuel pump so after starting the engine would die. If your engine cam has not been broken in yet make sure the fuel bowls 
on the carb are full before you try starting. Pete

DryLakesRacer
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
I’m getting ready to restart mine after having one of the heads off and a piston change. I’ve got all the plugs currently out and a trigger switch to crank it over to set the rocker clearance. Before starting I’ll spin it over for at least 10-15 seconds to fill enough for the accelerator pumps to get some fuel into them..

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter