Profile Picture

PCV fitting

Posted By DryLakesRacer 3 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
Usually - if the PCV vacuum leak is too great - it will really screw up your idle settings. The old original Ford intake manifolds that had the PCV screwed into them - have an orfice drilled beneath the port to throttle the air flow from the two chambers of the intake. The two inches of mercury sounds scientific enough, but I would think that the smallest value that will work as the revs rise - is the one you want - not some preconceived number. 

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/9ea2bf28-00c4-4772-9ac7-d154.jpg 
 Steve Metzger       Tucson, Arizona
FORD DEARBORN
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)

Last Active: 5 days ago
I'm sure everyone knows this but I'll mention anyways, an air leak that can exist at the last most rearward unused threaded hole next to the temp sender. Same for the rear of the right cylinder head but that hole is usually used for securing one of the spark plug wire brackets. Those threaded holes are drilled through into the push rod hole so make sure the "dummy" bolt is short enough to NOT strike the push rod.  There are also a couple holes in the block near the left rear corner of the valley cover but I can't remember if they penetrate the engine interior like the above mentioned cylinder head holes.   It was mentioned in a previous post a vacuum gauge would be attached. Lets us know how that goes.http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/d823b867-f6e1-4ba8-a620-0158.jpg

64F100 57FAIRLANE500
DryLakesRacer
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Dearborn, funny you should mention these threaded holes. I don’t want to get involved with what I mentioned earlier as engine repairs but it consisted of removing the left cylinder head. On my 56 that last threaded hole next to the water temp sender had a short cap screw in it with a star lock washer for the body ground from the firewall.
Since the intake was off and the right rocker cover off for me to install a 57 exhaust manifold on that side I noticed it was holding the right side upper spark plug wire guide. Other inline engines I race these held coil mounts at the center of the cylinder head.
I run a belt driver vacuum pump on my racing engines and am very aware of causing problems from not paying attention. Since I run one I’ve had many discussions with other races who have told me they could not get a good vacuum. As simple as this seemed, I asked them which way they installed the rear main lip seal. You should have seen the look on their face when I said it... priceless. I didn’t have the problem since mine were rope..

Greenbird. My thought on what you said is to solder up the brass fitting that is between the 2 carbs and drill an oriface if necessary. I have 2 different PVC valves and the one I’ve shown list for a Y-Block has less flow by sucking on it than a certain 283 engine used in 1965 that screwed into a fitting behind the 2 barrel carb. All of what you say makes perfect sense along with the engineering I’ve read concerning the use of a PCV valve...

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
Florida_Phil
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

My PCV Install went well.  I know most members have already done this.  I put it off for a long time.  The original draft tube is gone.  So is the smell, which makes my wife happy.  The idle seems smoother too.   The Casco Thunderbird kit comes with the rubber groomer, pcv valve, hose and the 1/2" carb plate.  The only modification I had to make was cutting the hose to fit my engine.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/edc35b3a-eb7c-4ca4-9fcd-37e2.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

DryLakesRacer
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Florida, did you ever notice how much vapor or blowby was coming out of your breather before you put on the kit? My wife has complained about the smell for 10 years when I pull into the garage and it’s cooling down.

Did the CASCO include a hose from the oil fill to the inner area of the air cleaner so the air being sucked through your engine is filtered or does it rely on the filter inside the oil fill line cap.

Also how many miles from rebuilding your engine. I’m interested because mine is right at 10k.

The CASCO kit would be tight with dual quads or not make it from the photo but it is sure a clean installation. Thanks

Florida_Phil
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

I rebuilt my motor two summers ago.  I have driven 2-3000 miles since the rebuild, The amount of vapor coming from my down draft tub was not excessive.  However, you could see fumes drifting out.  My garage is connected to my house.  Whenever I would start the car in the garage, the house would smell like gas and exhaust fumes.  As you can imagine this made my wife unhappy. My cam is a somewhat bumpy at idle, so I'm sure that added to the fumes. After the PVC was installed, I put my hand over the oil fill and I can feel vacuum. I believe it will help to keep oil leaks to a minimum. The tube in the Casco kit runs from the PCV to the plate under the carburetor.  I'm not sure where you would connect it with dual quads.  Adding a PCV is a worthwhile upgrade.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

Rudder2fly
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (354 reputation)Supercharged (354 reputation)Supercharged (354 reputation)Supercharged (354 reputation)Supercharged (354 reputation)Supercharged (354 reputation)Supercharged (354 reputation)Supercharged (354 reputation)Supercharged (354 reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Phil, can you give me the Casco part #?

56 VIC  Gene Stoehr Sr.
DryLakesRacer
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Thanks Florida. That sounds like what mine looks like from the road draft tube. I figured the rear style you have looks like the one Ted always shows us and it’s nice to see one without the hose coming around to the front of the supplied hose connection on the typical available aftermarket carbs today.
Yes with dual quads everything is very tight but I just can’t give them up yet and it’s why I cut the original hose teapot looking connector on the factory valley cover from the early 60’s. When I was putting mine back together last week I took the high rise I have out of the box and set it on with a couple of different carbs to see what it would look like. It has no markings for either Blue Thunder or Mummert; I bought it about 5 years ago.Enjoy:

Florida_Phil
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Rudder2fly (1/10/2021)
Phil, can you give me the Casco part #?

Part # 6758A                    PCV Conversion Kit - 57 4bbl - 1 Per car Engine & Mounts - 1 Require 1         $78.95        

GREENBIRD56
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

I went digging into the old photo files I have - found a couple worth sharing.....
.http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/20156172-3f84-46a2-a5ca-f42e.jpg
Ford's method of sampling the two chambers of the factory "H" manifold.
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/0a49c808-c47b-417d-9b3c-cca6.jpg
McTim's method of tapping the block for a GM PCV (it has the inverted check valve).
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/7f1d66cd-6321-49da-88d1-bc7e.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/9ea2bf28-00c4-4772-9ac7-d154.jpg 
 Steve Metzger       Tucson, Arizona

Reading This Topic

Site Meter