Profile Picture

OD kick down and Pentronix ignitor ;;

Posted By Melly 4 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Question Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (582 reputation)Supercharged (582 reputation)Supercharged (582 reputation)Supercharged (582 reputation)Supercharged (582 reputation)Supercharged (582 reputation)Supercharged (582 reputation)Supercharged (582 reputation)Supercharged (582 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
I have read that the kick down on a 3 spd OD can cause problems with the Petronix ll  ignition.  That if you kick down it will burn out the system.  Has anyone had problems with this?
Dobie
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Untrue. All my OD equipped vehicles run Pertronix ignition with absolutely no problems.
crownvic55
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (107 reputation)Supercharged (107 reputation)Supercharged (107 reputation)Supercharged (107 reputation)Supercharged (107 reputation)Supercharged (107 reputation)Supercharged (107 reputation)Supercharged (107 reputation)Supercharged (107 reputation)

Agree with Dobie. Been running Pertronix 2 with O.D. for 8 years with no problems.

Ben HessTulsa,OK
Melly
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (582 reputation)Supercharged (582 reputation)Supercharged (582 reputation)Supercharged (582 reputation)Supercharged (582 reputation)Supercharged (582 reputation)Supercharged (582 reputation)Supercharged (582 reputation)Supercharged (582 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
thanks for you reply maybe i just over thinking
oldcarmark
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Weeks Ago
Make sure You use at least Pertronix 11(2)

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg
Florida_Phil
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

I have a 1957 Ford Distributor and a Pertronix I in my TBird.  I also have a Pertronix 1.5 ohm coil with no external resistor.  I experienced an intermittent miss that went away when I disconnected the O/D wire.  It did not blow the Pertronix Unit. The O/D kickdown switch is an open switch located in a place where corrosion, oil and grim can get to it.  The way I drive my car, I have no use for kick down.  Downshifting when I want to pass works for me. Since disconnecting the O/D wire, my car has been running for over a year with no issues.  If you blow the Pertronix unit, you are dead in the water.  You can carry an extra unit or reinstall your points. To me, having a working kick down circuit is not worth the risk that I will be sitting on the side of the road with a flash light and a screw driver.

To be honest, I have never experienced a Pertronix unit failure and I have used a bunch of them over the years.  At the same time, I have experienced numerous failures of Chinese points and condensers.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

Reading This Topic

Site Meter