Profile Picture

Curb height on 1955 ford Crown Vic.

Posted By Melly 4 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Question Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (586 reputation)Supercharged (586 reputation)Supercharged (586 reputation)Supercharged (586 reputation)Supercharged (586 reputation)Supercharged (586 reputation)Supercharged (586 reputation)Supercharged (586 reputation)Supercharged (586 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 days ago
I have 215 X 70 X 15 tires on the front of my Crown.It appears that the front coils have been heated or cut as the front end set low.  It ride fine and drive great. But as I have noticed other that set a lot higher at different events.  So it got me to wondering what the Stock height is?  I measured from bottom edge of front bumper on each  side and down to floor.  It is 10.5 inches, so was wondering if someone would measure there stock front so I could compare?   It must be this COVID thing but have a lot of time in garage and found thins that I have question about .  So this got me to wonder If I were to put a new set of front coils in her how mugh that might bring it up..  Although I kind of like the way it sets.http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/f5654b08-6ad7-486a-b069-386c.jpg
DryLakesRacer
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Looks great the way it is but I’m partial to a 2” rake. You might have Aerostars springs that are widely used today. If you have disc front brakes there may be Granada spindles installed which is also used a lot. You just don’t do them both. If you want it level and low just wait as all Fords will settle in the back with the long leafs they have stock...

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
miker
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: 3 days ago
Looks really nice to me. If you're happy with the ride and driving why change? Great color combination.

The Ford shop manual should have some static height info, or one of the restoration guys will give you a measurement.

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
Melly
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (586 reputation)Supercharged (586 reputation)Supercharged (586 reputation)Supercharged (586 reputation)Supercharged (586 reputation)Supercharged (586 reputation)Supercharged (586 reputation)Supercharged (586 reputation)Supercharged (586 reputation)

Thanks for you response I do like the look also, but after hearing many comment I just trying to find what the stock height is .  Looking for thing to keep busy during this crazy time and long winter.    
Joe-JDC
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)

Last Active: 36 minutes ago
The ONLY time the front end should be higher than the rear, is when the "go" pedal is on the floor!   Joe-JDC

JDC
55blacktie
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Without adjustable coilover shocks/air bags, it's often difficult to get the ride height right. My 55 T-bird is no exception. 

you said that you are satisfied with the ride and drive quality. If you have no clearance/bottoming issues, I would leave it. I agree with the others, who said they like it just as it is. Heating coils is the worst way to lower it, followed by cutting the coils. If cutting coils, best to use a cutoff wheel, not a torch. Most are happy with Aerostar springs on full-size cars, but they did not change the ride height of my T-bird. I think the T-bird engine sits farther back, so there is less weight over the front end. I ended up having new leaf springs re-arched to raise the rear 1 1/2", and I installed 1 1/2" drop spindles. It's not perfect but better than what I started with. Once I have everything put back under the hood, the front will drop some, but close to an equal amount will be removed when swapping the Fordomatic for a C4. hopefully, I will be able to live with the final result. 

Reading This Topic

Site Meter