Profile Picture

Dana 44 - questions

Posted By Richard 4 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Question Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (844 reputation)Supercharged (844 reputation)Supercharged (844 reputation)Supercharged (844 reputation)Supercharged (844 reputation)Supercharged (844 reputation)Supercharged (844 reputation)Supercharged (844 reputation)Supercharged (844 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Month
What size ring and pinion is in the Dana 44, used in the 54,55,56, Station Wagons. Also was the same rear end used in the T Birds

55blacktie
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
The Dana 44 is 8.5." 55-56 T-bird/w Fordomatic 3.31 rear-axle ratio. 19-spline axle shafts. Higher ratios available/w manual transmission.
Hoosier Hurricane
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)

Group: Moderators
'55 and '56 T-Birds used a Dana 44, but the axle housing is different than the wagons.  I don't know about widths, but the spring perches on the Birds were taller than on the wagons.

John - "The Hoosier Hurricane"
http://www.y-blocksforever.com/avatars/johnf.jpg
55blacktie
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

I can't speak for 54s, but I did check my 55 manual, which confirms that 55 wagons used the Dana 44, not the banjo-style that was used in sedans. I don't know if the width is the same as the T-bird, but the wagon's rear shoes are 2" wide vs. 1 3/4" for the T-bird, both being 11" diameter. As it has been already said, the T-bird has taller spring perches, which drop the back lower than the front-not a look I particularly care for, preferring level or slight front drop.  
miker
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: 6 days ago
In 1968 or so I replaced the Fordo in my 55 312 bird with a T-85 o/d. The local junkyard (who's owner had an F code 57 bird) sold me the Dana 44 out of a 56 6 cylinder o/d wagon. Rear gear was 4.27 IIRC. I used 1.5 or 2" lowering blocks to get the car level. It came drum to drum, shoes were good, I just used it. Width was the same.

The 55 bird I bought in 1999 had the Dana 44. On going thru it the bird axle bearings wouldn't fit the axles. It was a truck Dana, bigger axles. It also had very crudely welded bird perches. Somewhere along the line the original 4:11 rear had been swapped out for a 4:11 truck rear end.

I've heard various explanations about Dana 41-45-? being variants. I don't know what's correct. I do know the birds, trucks, wagons and police cars usually had a Dana of some sort. All looked the same from casual looks from under the car.

They're getting hard to find parts for, at least the non 44 variants. If you're re going to change ratios, it's a pita. Having been thru it on the bird, I should have put a 9" or a newer 8.8 in

Randy's is local to me, they're pretty good with these. Various more modern vehicles used the 44 gears, including early Vipers.

https://www.randysworldwide.com/

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
Richard
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (844 reputation)Supercharged (844 reputation)Supercharged (844 reputation)Supercharged (844 reputation)Supercharged (844 reputation)Supercharged (844 reputation)Supercharged (844 reputation)Supercharged (844 reputation)Supercharged (844 reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
I put mine up for sale in the classifieds.  Replaced it with an 8 inch from a maverick 
Florida_Phil
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
My 55 Tbird has it's original T86-R10 O/D transmission and Dana 44 rear axle.  According to what I have found on the Internet, O/D TBirds had 3.70 gears. My car had a tag on the differential cover that read 4.11.  The final ratio is hard to guess without counting the gears as the O/D unit changes the final ratio.  One day I might get the energy to get under the car and find out. For now, it's a mystery. Smile

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

55blacktie
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

My 55 T-bird's Dana 44 3.31 gears were replaced with 2.72 gears. The shop gave no indication that it was a difficult swap, although an Auburn limited-slip was also installed at the same time. 
carl
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)

I have a dana 44 that came out of a 56 Ford wagon 6 cylinder with od trans  4.27 gears  Carl
55blacktie
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

FYI: There are two different carriers for the Dana 44. The small carrier is for ratios up to 3.73. 

Reading This Topic

Site Meter