Profile Picture

Gear shift linkage parts

Posted By PF Arcand Last Year
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 29 minutes ago
Mac's in N.Y. lists a '55-57' T. Bird Fordomatic gear shift linkage Bushing-Washer kit, their #66-28337.  Would those parts be the same as a 57 Car?
I'm asking because I had a "misadventure" a year or so ago, where my 57 car while idling, "popped out of Park" into Reverse, leading to injury & some damage.. Later we tried to adjust it, with limited success.  It appears  the shift linkage is, not surprisingly, somewhat worn.. 

Paul
DryLakesRacer
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.7K reputation)Supercharged (2.7K reputation)Supercharged (2.7K reputation)Supercharged (2.7K reputation)Supercharged (2.7K reputation)Supercharged (2.7K reputation)Supercharged (2.7K reputation)Supercharged (2.7K reputation)Supercharged (2.7K reputation)

Last Active: 3 hours ago
I am not familiar with the Thunderbird floor linkage but with a column if the the pawl gets rounded from use at all the column shifter up at the steering wheel it will slip out of park and into reverse. This was a major concern of Fords many years ago. The Cruise-O I have doesn’t have a detent in the transmission; it relies on the shifter arm to hold it in.
For this reason I set the parking brake every time I have the car running and I’m not behind the wheel. (Neutral too)
I have had my steering wheel off and the turn signal unit laid over to the side and had to file the edges sharp again. This is on a 56 which I’m sure is the same as a 57.
On the shifter linkage right at the firewall you can turn the adjustment one turn down to bring up the arm on the trans. There is a rubber bushing in that column arm that might be your problem. I bought a new one but don’t remember where. That long linkage to the trans does not have a bushing on the arm on the side of the trans.

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
KULTULZ
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Maybe this ILL will help ID what you need -

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/d32ba5e4-9abb-4535-b645-6e03.jpg

W (BY GOD) V - EASTERN PANHANDLE

DryLakesRacer
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.7K reputation)Supercharged (2.7K reputation)Supercharged (2.7K reputation)Supercharged (2.7K reputation)Supercharged (2.7K reputation)Supercharged (2.7K reputation)Supercharged (2.7K reputation)Supercharged (2.7K reputation)Supercharged (2.7K reputation)

Last Active: 3 hours ago
7341 on the illustration is the black rubber grommet I bought.,

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter