Profile Picture

55 Tbird backup light question

Posted By 55charliebird 4 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Years Ago
I have convinced my self that in 1955, a backup light was intended for you to be able to see back there, in the dark.    So it only lit up at night, if the headlight switch was on, and you were backing up.  Am I correct?  Since then safety concerns now make the backup light come on anytime the transmission is in reverse, day or night.  Am I correct.  The power for my b/u switch (automatic transmission) is hot when light switch is on (in park or headlights).  I thought I found another wiring error.
paul2748
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
In stock configuration, the back-up light switch  has power when the parking lights or headlights are on.  Putting it into reverse triggers the internal switch in the neutral safety switch for power to the back-up lights. 

The wire going up to the dash for power can be disconnected from the harness and can be connected to some other power source (usually the ignition switch accessory terminal), providing power to the switch when the ignition is turned on.  This provides power to the switch and the light will come on regardless if the headlights are on (with the ignition turned on).

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

55charliebird
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)

Thank you.
Rusty_S85
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)

paul2748 (11/19/2020)
In stock configuration, the back-up light switch  has power when the parking lights or headlights are on.  Putting it into reverse triggers the internal switch in the neutral safety switch for power to the back-up lights. 

The wire going up to the dash for power can be disconnected from the harness and can be connected to some other power source (usually the ignition switch accessory terminal), providing power to the switch when the ignition is turned on.  This provides power to the switch and the light will come on regardless if the headlights are on (with the ignition turned on).

Was that the same for fullsize cars as well?  My '56 Fairlane doesnt have backup lights but has the neutral safety switch that has the terminals and I bought the wiring harness with the intention of adding them possibly during restoration.  My wiring schematic is put up some where so I cant check it for myself to verify for the cars.

1956 Ford Fairlane Town Sedan - 292 Y8 - Ford-O-Matic - 155,000 mi

paul2748
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
I believe the sedans were the same.

Rusty_S85 (11/29/2020)
paul2748 (11/19/2020)

Was that the same for fullsize cars as well?  My '56 Fairlane doesnt have backup lights but has the neutral safety switch that has the terminals and I bought the wiring harness with the intention of adding them possibly during restoration.  My wiring schematic is put up some where so I cant check it for myself to verify for the cars.

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

Reading This Topic

Site Meter