Profile Picture

57 Ford Station Wagon Rear End housing question

Posted By slumlord444 4 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Yesterday
I have a wagon housing that I need a drivers side axle (the short one)  Any difference between the wagon and the passenger car axle? I'm pretty sure it takes a larger bearing. Suggestions for a reasonable source for one. Don't need super duty. Going in my 65 Mustang with a mild 302 and C4. 
55blacktie
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

1957 was the first year for the Ford 9" rear end. If there is not a bolt-on cover on the back of the housing, that's probably what you have, unless somebody swapped in a Ford 8." Currie Enterprises should have a replacement. Email/call and tell them what you need.
slumlord444
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

It's a 9" . I'm familiar with Currie. They have great stuff. Looking for something a little more economical. Still need to know if the bearing is the only difference.
Genuinerod
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (233 reputation)Supercharged (233 reputation)Supercharged (233 reputation)Supercharged (233 reputation)Supercharged (233 reputation)Supercharged (233 reputation)Supercharged (233 reputation)Supercharged (233 reputation)Supercharged (233 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
The larger rear axles on the 57 T-Bird are the same as the station but not like on the other fords (smaller).  You are right in that the bearing is larger at 1 17/32" I.D X 3 5/32" O.D.  Dutchman axles has what you want.  http://www.dutchmanaxles.com/ebaystore/shop/sr-pob-ford-car/axle-shaft-ford-car-sr102/
KULTULZ
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
Guess I should have shown both axle sizes to make it easier to understand in case you find a take-out.

A=FORD
S=BIRD

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/68af72ee-590b-49af-bc8a-ea00.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/805aef0c-300c-413a-81be-557d.jpg

slumlord444
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Thanks. Thats what I was looking for. Dug out my Ford parts book today and looked up what you posted. I knew the bearing was bigger but didn't know the axel was longer and the mounting flange was bigger. My local parts store is going to try to find something. The only thing I didn't see was price. I'll call them tomorrow to see. No hurry on this because I have no idea when I'll get to it but I like to get the parts together first. The housing came out of a wagon I traded off years ago. Was a 2 door and I wish I still had it. The reason I'm missing an axel is I twisted one off on my T Bird way back and used it there. Don't ask how I did that. Many previous 5500 rpm launches at the strip with slicks may have helped contribute to the beakage. The bad part was that it also destroyed a perfectly good 4.10 center section. Thanks again.
KULTULZ
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
Was a 2 door and I wish I still had it.

If I had all the cars that I went through back then, I would be rich.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter