Profile Picture

Body Panels - Fair price?

Posted By Rusty_S85 4 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Question Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Years Ago
I found a company out in Arizona that has a bunch of desert cars that they are selling parts off of, quite a few four door Fairlanes 55 and 56.  I sent them a email if they offer body panels cut off for patch panels as I am trying to find the lower 6 inches of each door pillar to use as a patch to replace mine that are rusting out.  This part is not a patch panel that is offered and I was told it would be cheaper to source from another 4dr car these pillar pieces than having a body shop fabricate sheet metal to replace what is rotted.

Now here is my question what would be a fair price for the lower 6 inches of two door pillars?  This is something I havent done before and not sure what would be fair and what would be a rip off for me and would like to hear some feed back on something like this.

1956 Ford Fairlane Town Sedan - 292 Y8 - Ford-O-Matic - 155,000 mi

paul2748
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
I think a "fair " price is subjective.  For a hard to find piece that is desperately needed any price is is a fair price if lack thereof can stall a project forever.  In your case, a fair price would be the same as what it would cost you to have the piece fabricated, assuming the part is in as good a condition and is as useable as the piece you have to have made.

When I got my 56 TBird, it was missing the factory jack.  While I could have done without it, I wanted it to have the full equipment the car originally came with.  I was willing to pay what was asked because they were not easily obtainable

That is my take.  Others may differ

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

Rusty_S85
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
paul2748 (11/14/2020)
I think a "fair " price is subjective.  For a hard to find piece that is desperately needed any price is is a fair price if lack thereof can stall a project forever.  In your case, a fair price would be the same as what it would cost you to have the piece fabricated, assuming the part is in as good a condition and is as useable as the piece you have to have made.

When I got my 56 TBird, it was missing the factory jack.  While I could have done without it, I wanted it to have the full equipment the car originally came with.  I was willing to pay what was asked because they were not easily obtainable

That is my take.  Others may differ

Thats the same boat I am in on the jack.  I have the base and the handle I think but not the actual jack itself.  I got the part number and I am just keeping an eye on ebay for it, but body wise the panels themselves such as this dont have a part number as they are part of the body and doesnt bolt in.

I have to talk to some body shops and find out how much they would charge to fabricate the piece cause the reply I got back today was that the pieces were $325 per side so that is $650 for both sides I have to email them back and see if that is for the whole pillar or if that is for some 6-7 inches from the bottom which is all I need.  I dont think the price is bad considering from what I can tell the arizona cars they got that are mostly 4 doors seem to have no body rot on the sides.  Shipping I need verification on if that is $111.87 is per piece or if that would be for both pieces since I would need both sides.  So I need to check with some body shops if it would cost more than $761.87 which I believe it probably would be to fabricate the pieces from scratch twice over.  That is if the $111.87 shipping is for both pieces and not $111.87 per side if thats the case then that will put me at $873.74 which I dont think is a horrible price but I am thinking if I could find a decent rust free '56 4dr parts car to get the pieces from for less money.  If I could then I could rob more parts and then sell the rest.

Thats the things I am weighing right now, just have what I need fabricated from scratch if its not too pricy, source a 4dr parts car to buy or source parts from a vintage car junkyard like this one I found that has those pieces.  For me the last option seems to be the best option for me as it removes the need of picking up and moving a parts car and then having to be stuck with getting rid of what remains.  Then I would be tempted to try and build the parts car up itself which isnt a good thing either.

1956 Ford Fairlane Town Sedan - 292 Y8 - Ford-O-Matic - 155,000 mi

Reading This Topic

Site Meter