Profile Picture

late 50s Mallory Dual Point distributor (Loadomatic model)

Posted By DANIEL TINDER 4 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

late 50s Mallory Dual Point distributor (Loadomatic model)

Author
General Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 days ago
Sent another technical request message to Holley/Mallory regarding service.  First was ignored, but this time I also asked for referral to any private party that specializes in vintage Mallory distributor setup.  Maybe someone there who still has connections to retired staff with that knowledge (?) will take pity on me.
While my customized OEM Loadomatic (dual points, altered Offy advance limiter, lowered spring tension, etc.) & Pony/Holley 4000 combo is still running very strong, the reduced gas mileage IS finally enough to prompt me to put the NOS Mallory with mechanical + vac. advance into service (I also have slight ‘rough-running’ when cruising in 3rd OD at low RPMs, but that might well be merely a carb adjustment issue?). Otherwise, I might assume that the vintage unit, as-produced, was designed to be a ‘drop-in’ aftermarket performance upgrade, and was likely to be originally setup correctly as such at the factory, with street-able advance curve & point gaps, so a good soaking in automotive electronics solvent (and re-lube of the advance mechanism) should  be adequate for testing. I’ll put it on the SUN machine first and see what’s what before I cut off the ends of my plug wires.
If I’m lucky, I’ll be able eventually to get some useable vac. advance in combination with a modern carb also (restricted port vacuum?).  Whatever.

6 VOLTS/POS. GRD. NW INDIANA
DANIEL TINDER
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)

Finally got a reply from Holley/Mallory tech service. Do to the buyout/transfers, they have totally washed their hands of any responsibility for old Mallory products.  No tech literature available, nor any tech team personnel with pertaining knowledge, and no contacts of any kind could be supplied regarding repair data or service referrals.  Geez.  So much for ‘brand name’ loyalty/goodwill (another concept relegated to the trash heap of history).

GREENBIRD56
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Daniel - I feel your pain....... The mining machinery company I represented for many years has now been gone for 23 years. The vestiges are presently owned by CAT - and to be blunt, they don't give a s%$#& how the units work or whatever. And their young guys could care less.So - I keep getting the odd call from old friends and acquaintances, looking for info about the "wheres and hows"of how various systems work, or how they might be repaired. Fortunately my current (part time) employer is tolerant of the phone calls. 

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/9ea2bf28-00c4-4772-9ac7-d154.jpg 
 Steve Metzger       Tucson, Arizona
Tim Quinn
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Ford Y-block Fans,
Back in the 60's I was running a '56 Fairlane, stick sift, tripower and a Mallory dual point ignition. The Mallory was not running correctly so
we drove to the Mallory Headquarters in Dearborn, Michigan. In the rear of headquarters were three bays and two technicians. We expalined
the problem. Out came the Mallory. A few minutes later it was put back in with new points and 'Packard 440 wiring' (old school guys all know
Packard spark plug wires were the way to go, top drawer)
Hit the key, fired right up and the trimming was set.
Question: How much ? Answer: Zero , 0000, FREE !
On top of that, we were given a plant tour. I can still see people assembling distributors with hairnets and white gloves.
Since the I always use Mallory products.
Tim
Central, Florida 

KULTULZ
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

Last Active: 8 days ago
'Packard 440 wiring' (old school guys all know Packard spark plug wires were the way to go, top drawer)

Don't for get the Rajah Clips ... Wink

DANIEL TINDER
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Does anyone remember when carbon-core radio-suppression spark plug wires came out?  I’m trying to decide what type of wires to buy for the old spike-type Mallory distributor cap. Will the suppression wires work ok?

Ted
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Suppression wires will work fine.  The solid core wires do tend to wreak havoc on electronics within the EMF range when the engines are running so they are best avoided on street driven vehicles.  On the older distributors you do have to watch out for some of the high performance spark plug wire kits being too large in diameter and not fitting in the distributor caps properly.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Florida_Phil
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
DANIEL TINDER (11/24/2020)
Finally got a reply from Holley/Mallory tech service. Do to the buyout/transfers, they have totally washed their hands of any responsibility for old Mallory products.  No tech literature available, nor any tech team personnel with pertaining knowledge, and no contacts of any kind could be supplied regarding repair data or service referrals.  Geez.  So much for ‘brand name’ loyalty/goodwill (another concept relegated to the trash heap of history).

In 1966, I was hired by the Burroughs Corporation as a Field Engineer, fancy words for "Repair Man".  They sent me to Detroit to learn to repair a mechanical accounting machine called a "Sensimatic". At the time, practically every business had one,   In the seventies, accounting machines turned into computers and I found myself on the cutting edge of technology. A 1955 Mallory distributor is now over 65 years old.  How long should a manufacturer provide support?   If there is anyone out there with a Burroughs accounting machine still in use, you now know who to call!   Wow

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

2721955meteor
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

IN CANADA ford for example after 10 years  they no longer talk to 0ne. older trucks(re motor home)for example the won't work on it. the heap of junk v10s you are on your own for parts or tech help.
DANIEL TINDER
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Florida_Phil (5/14/2021)
DANIEL TINDER (11/24/2020)

In 1966, I was hired by the Burroughs Corporation as a Field Engineer, fancy words for "Repair Man".  They sent me to Detroit to learn to repair a mechanical accounting machine called a "Sensimatic". At the time, practically every business had one,   In the seventies, accounting machines turned into computers and I found myself on the cutting edge of technology. A 1955 Mallory distributor is now over 65 years old.  How long should a manufacturer provide support?   If there is anyone out there with a Burroughs accounting machine still in use, you now know who to call!   Wow

An ‘accounting machine’ is NOT a cultural icon.  The auto manufacturers like to sell the fantasy scenario of sexuality, etc. associated with their products, along with the brand-related racing/styling history.  We all accept the long established standard of dealers no longer stocking parts for car older than 10 years, but when you are selling ‘culture’, you should at least be able to refer the customers you reject to vintage repair sources.  I believe the hot rodder/speed equipment industry also shares the automotive ‘cultural/fantasy/sexuality’ concept, and likely should embrace the responsibility that comes with brand-related history (?).

Reading This Topic

Site Meter