Profile Picture

Y Blocks are still popular in my area!

Posted By Joe-JDC 4 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Yesterday
Local Craig's listing last week for a '62 292 complete engine with truck transmission, starter, headers, Fenton valve covers, 4V intake, newish Holley, running engine. $750.00.  I was going to call the next morning, and it was already sold.  Roughly 12 hours and it was gone.  Joe-JDC

JDC
Ted
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 days ago
I’m amazed that so many Ford Y engines are still out there considering that 1964 was the last year they were available in a vehicle.  While I still manage to find Ford Y engine cores for rebuilding purposes, locating rebuildable FE engines is getting much more difficult.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Florida_Phil
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
They are still out there, but not like they were 20 years ago.  Most seem to be sitting in a shed or rusting away in an old Ford carcass. We have a local Cars and Coffee cruise every Wednesday morning here in town. Y-Blocks are well represented.  There are three little Tbirds, one '55 (mine), one '56 and one '57. There are two 57 Fords and one 56 Mercury.  There is also a '58 Ford Custom that shows every so often. I know of three complete YBlock engines sitting in sheds.  Most of what I see are 272s.   One is a complete '56 Mercury 312.  I love Y-Blocks.  They have personality....  Tongue

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

Just Brian
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Normally aspirated (38 reputation)Normally aspirated (38 reputation)Normally aspirated (38 reputation)Normally aspirated (38 reputation)Normally aspirated (38 reputation)Normally aspirated (38 reputation)Normally aspirated (38 reputation)Normally aspirated (38 reputation)Normally aspirated (38 reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
Hard to find in New Zealand and when you do they have a high price tag.
There is a 55 T Bird 312 in bits on a local NZ site. In bits for $6800 NZ.

Cheers Brian
PF Arcand
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
I'd be suspicious of that Ad...there weren't any 312s in 1955..

Paul
Lord Gaga
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)

The old saying goes, "All Y Blocks are 312's". lol

"FREE SAMPLE"
charliemccraney
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Going by the growth of my Facebook group, it is still quite popular.  Getting quite a few requests recently from people in South America, with the Phase 2 engines.

Lawrenceville, GA
Florida_Phil
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
charliemccraney (11/11/2020)
Going by the growth of my Facebook group, it is still quite popular.  Getting quite a few requests recently from people in South America, with the Phase 2 engines.
I have a small collection of Legendary Ford magazines.  I have read them all cover to cover many times.  In one issue, they talked about Brazilian Fords. I was not aware of these cars.  They all looked like 1966 Galaxies with minor modifications made year to year.  I was surprised to find these cars all used the 272 Y-Block. The article said these engines were popular in Brazil as they were used in taxis. Brazilian garage floors must be full of these engines?

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

Joe-JDC
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)

The heads and intakes are made similar to the 289 SBF port spacing and shapes on the Brazil engines.  Joe-JDC

JDC
PF Arcand
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
I believe that Argentina used or built Y-Blocks at one time. I don't have info as to when they were discontinued there. I might be corrected, but I believe that Dennis Carpenter Reproductions bought old stock cylinder heads from there some years ago. They were listed in their catalogues at one time.. Unfortunatley, they were 1st generation heads with the tiny intake valves, although I believe that J. Mummert listed 1.84" dia intake valves that would likely fit.. (this is from Memory so not guarenteed)..

Paul

Reading This Topic

Site Meter