Profile Picture

Rocker shaft washers

Posted By Jack Groat 4 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Months Ago
Bought a “reconditioned” set of rocker shaft\rockers.. One set has washers on ends only... second set has several washers (not all) between rockers and stands. Is this the way it is supposed to be?

Question 2: Some half the rockers are ECG 6564 B2 and half are 5751066. These appear identical except for the adjuster bolt. I don’t see this as a problem. Does anyone Disagree?

Thanks guys...

Cliff
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Last Active: 5 hours ago
No, that's not way they should be, look at a Ford Shop Manuel, the 5751066 are low ratio, the ECG are high ratio
55blacktie
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
Where did you get the "reconditioned" rocker arms? 
Tedster
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Have you inspected the rockers by the way? Reconditioning would almost certainly require reaming out the bores and installing bronze bushings. As you know, Y-Blocks sometimes suffered poor oiling and consequently both the rocker arms and rocker shafts often suffered severe galling and scoring of the rocker bores and shafts.

Fwiw, my 64 shop manual states that if the rocker tips are worn unevenly they should be discarded, and further don't try to reface them. I know refacing rocker tips is routine today due to parts being more difficult to source, or expensive, but. Maybe the surface hardening isn't deep enough to allow for that? Has anyone seen a problem with this??

The mismatched ratio rockers wouldn't be a show stopper necessarily, so long as there are 8 of each. Maybe install the high lift rockers on the intakes? Some might argue they should be installed on the exhaust valves. Hm.

The washers are sometimes installed by ODC types, to align or center the rocker tips on each valve stem. I remain agnostic on this ha ha.
Jack Groat
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)

I bought these shafts and rockers on eBay. The rockers and shafts appear in very good condition, no scoring but no bushings either. The contact pads appear to be refinished. Shiny vs darker with no witness marks of valve contact. The two center rockers do not center on the valve and I think that is where the extra washers were installed. My plan is to put the low ratio rockers on the exhausts. Stick with the refinished pads for now and keep my eye on them.
55blacktie
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

I guess it comes down to choosing between "good enough" and "best available." Personally, I would not leave it to someone who may have questionable skills, resources, or ethics. Paying more doesn't necessarily guarantee a superior product, but it doesn't pay to be "penny wise and pound foolish."
Jack Groat
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

I really don't know where I could buy "like new" or new rockers.  All I can find is stuff being sold on the internet, all used.  If someone know where I can find verifiable "like new" rockers, I would appreciate it.
Cliff
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Last Active: 5 hours ago
I have new B & B Hi Lift rockers in stock, these were made in the 50's, they measure about 1.54, I put them on E Bay once in a wile, I get $350.00 for 2 sets of 8 plus shipping, I sold a set to Ted Eaton if you wanted to ask him about them.http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/a24190e1-727e-4d2f-a567-8a33.jpghttp://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/0598de5f-9675-4801-bcd2-b4a3.jpghttp://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/2d991907-bc70-4b14-ad56-5bb9.jpghttp://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/28a60272-6156-4366-baa1-53af.jpg 
55blacktie
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

John Mummert (ford-y-block.com) sells new sets, but they aren't cheap. Rocker Arms Unlimited might have a set, or they can rebuild yours.
slumlord444
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Sharp roller rockers are available. Not cheap though 

Reading This Topic

Site Meter