Profile Picture

55 Tbird clock questions.

Posted By 55charliebird 4 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Years Ago
The clock is in excellent condition after 43 yr of no use.  No broken gears, shafts, springs, wheels or bearings. The motor turns and it drives the second hand at the same approximate revolutions as the motor.  What is missing is the balance wheel and escapement don't seem to join in..  The balance wheel will oscillate if I flick it, but eventually stops.  The palet fork moves in unison with balance wheel.  The escapement gear seems to not want to follow the fork and control the second hand.  Any thoughts.  I don't want to send it away and local clock people don't seem interested in fixing it.  Any Ideas.  
blocky
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (307 reputation)Supercharged (307 reputation)Supercharged (307 reputation)Supercharged (307 reputation)Supercharged (307 reputation)Supercharged (307 reputation)Supercharged (307 reputation)Supercharged (307 reputation)Supercharged (307 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Months Ago
hi i had a similar problem with my customline clock so took it to the speedo repair people and told them it goes for 10 minutes and stops.they cleaned and lubed it and it has not stopped since.it sat for too long they said. hope this helps 
2721955meteor
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
does your clock have points,if yes clean them with fine sand paper then nail polish remover
55charliebird
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
No points just spring loaded fingers that rub the commutator of the motor.  The motor runs, all the gears  turn the only issue that I see is the balance wheel and escapement gear are not in sync.  No broken springs or gears.  A clock repair place said it looks perfect but could not tell me how to fix it.  I don;t think they wanted to bother with it,
55blacktie
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Last Active: 4 hours ago
My 55 Tbird clock was converted to 12v quartz by Jerry Magayne of The Clock Works. Cost, including tax, was $224.95. He also does repairs to factory movement. Here's his number: (800) 398-3040. He is located in Eagle River, WI.
paul2748
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: 10 hours ago
I had Williamson's in Arkansas do a quartz conversion on my 54 and 56 clocks.  The 54 was done eighteen years ago and runs great.  The 56 was done 12 years ago, same deal.  At the time the were done, they were cheaper than any one else

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

DANIEL TINDER
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)

Last Active: 7 hours ago
I had my 6V clock quartz-converted also.  Works great (20 yrs. of near continuous running), but the interior configuration of the new mechanism made the light noticeably dimmer.  Since I like my night dash lights dimmed down anyway, I put lower watt bulbs in all the other dash sockets, and now run the rheostat all the way up to compensate.

6 VOLTS/POS. GRD. NW INDIANA

Reading This Topic

Site Meter