Profile Picture

auto choke

Posted By montana ford man 4 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (286 reputation)Supercharged (286 reputation)Supercharged (286 reputation)Supercharged (286 reputation)Supercharged (286 reputation)Supercharged (286 reputation)Supercharged (286 reputation)Supercharged (286 reputation)Supercharged (286 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
I bought a summit 4 barrel carburator after seeing positive feed backs from a lot of yblock guys. One question ,where is a good place to wire the automatic choke? I thought from the switch but I’m curious to see where others have done theirs.also, I put in an after market distributer that doesnt need a ballast resister so the red wire on my 56 customline that used to be hooked up to the coil Iput back on the new coil and everything works great.my question is what should I do with the other brown wire that used to be hooked up to the ballast resistor? Just doing all those little things that make my engine look good and run well.
DryLakesRacer
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
The Ballast Resister was in series with the lead wire from the ignition to power the coil when the engine is running (Red)

The brown wire comes from the starter solenoid to give the coil full voltage when the starter is activated for a full 12 volts instead of the lower voltage for running and not burning the points bypassing the ballast resistor. If you were to check the brown wire (not connected) it would have no voltage after starting.
I would run a dedicated wire from the ignition switch.

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
montana ford man
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (286 reputation)Supercharged (286 reputation)Supercharged (286 reputation)Supercharged (286 reputation)Supercharged (286 reputation)Supercharged (286 reputation)Supercharged (286 reputation)Supercharged (286 reputation)Supercharged (286 reputation)

thanks I vaguely remember something like that but its been a long time since I worked on wiring so thanks for refreshing my memory , I will tape up that wire and run a wire direct from the ignition to the choke,
DryLakesRacer
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
For less than $20 you can get a laminated11-17 color coded diagram of your car from ClassicCarWiring.com Saved my butt more than once..

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
PF Arcand
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

I don't know.. just asking, isn't running a choke line directly off the Ignition Switch,a rather heavy load on the switch?

Paul

Reading This Topic

Site Meter