Profile Picture

3M panel adhesive

Posted By 55 GLASS TOP 4 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
Hello anyone ever use 3m panel adhesive to install any new sheet metal on your cars. , I am doing rear lower quarter panels and was considering using  3m 8115 my welding is not the best. Thanks for any reply
Vic Correnti
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)

Last Active: 6 days ago
I've used it on an Amphicar bottom that is steel and it worked good. It needs a special caulking type tool that mixes it and a lot of strength. I did fiberglass over it considering it goes in the water. Tha body shops around me use it usually.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/7393d096-cbf0-4ed0-bfdc-c4b0.jpg  Vic Correnti

miker
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: 5 days ago
Here's a link to a thread on the HAMB. It's old (09), but the second page has some current updates. Thinking has changed some, and remember the HAMB is a "traditional" site.

But it's a good read.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/does-anybody-actually-use-adhesives-instead-of-welding-for-rust-body-repair.408845/page-2

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
Lord Gaga
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)

Last Active: 3 hours ago
I've used it and it works great. Glued full quarters on a 57 Ranchero 7 yrs. ago....perfect. You need to buy or borrow the special applicator and follow directions. EZ

"FREE SAMPLE"
one piece at a time
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (116 reputation)Supercharged (116 reputation)Supercharged (116 reputation)Supercharged (116 reputation)Supercharged (116 reputation)Supercharged (116 reputation)Supercharged (116 reputation)Supercharged (116 reputation)Supercharged (116 reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
I used it and will never use it again on anything that is a finish product such as body panels. For the same reason you are wanting to use it. With the advice and supervision of an experienced body man. My welding stinks not to mention the amount of time it takes to get panels flat that is if you care about what the end result looks like. If you don’t then by all means use it. I say this because of my experience. I started out welding in floor pans my car was a frame off rotisserie build. Being a novice my mentor suggested the panel glue. It worked fantastic. Speed up the repair process substantially so when I got to the body panels I continued using it. I spot welded the panels so they would not move then glued in backer pieces to make sure everything was connected as if it had been welded. Finish the body work blocked and painted the Crown Vic European Black. The car was beautiful and I received many compliments and awards the first year of completion . After the first year of cruising and car shows I started noticing hairline cracks at the panel seams. They multiplied after the second summer of crusing and shows. Not every panel is cracked but enough that they are noticed by others. As I said my car is Black Shiny Deep Black and in the sun it gets hot. Heat is what releases the glue. I feel that had I not used the panel adhesive I would not be looking at another restoration. Just my 2 cents 

Duane
55 GLASS TOP
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)

Duane, thanks for the feed back can you tell me what adhesive you used because I am looking at  a 3m 2 part epoxy product .
one piece at a time
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (116 reputation)Supercharged (116 reputation)Supercharged (116 reputation)Supercharged (116 reputation)Supercharged (116 reputation)Supercharged (116 reputation)Supercharged (116 reputation)Supercharged (116 reputation)Supercharged (116 reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
It was the 3m . Not sure of the number it was 5 years ago and the owner of the shop I was using has passed so I can’t ask . 

Duane
suede57ford
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (474 reputation)Supercharged (474 reputation)Supercharged (474 reputation)Supercharged (474 reputation)Supercharged (474 reputation)Supercharged (474 reputation)Supercharged (474 reputation)Supercharged (474 reputation)Supercharged (474 reputation)

3M Panel Bonding Adhesive.  You will need an Applicator, either 8117 or the economical 8571.  The replacement nozzles are 8193.  It gives you 90 minute work time to ge the panels in place and you need to leave it clamped for at least 4 hours depending on the temp.   I would not use to overlap panels where you ar egoin to do body work over as it can expand and contract slightly and show a bond line where a cosmetic seam would be.   It's great for roof panel, bedside and quarter on newer cars.  Grind both surfaces with 80 DA to bare metal, the apply and spread over all bare metal to prevent corrosion and then add a filler bead on one panel before clamping both panels.  Videos on YouTube under 3M Tech Tips Panel Bonding Adhesive.

It makes a great repair adhesive for steering wheels.  I prefer to mix chopped fiberglass fibers in with the adhesive when going over cracks or building heavy areas that need extra strength.
It can be used as a rigid seam sealer as well.  A great product for the drip rail channels.  

Its an excellent rigid seam sealer over floor panel welded seams.   it can be sanded and smoothed for finishing invisible seams on floor panel seams.

Pat Fleischman

Reading This Topic

Site Meter