Profile Picture

T Bird water pump extension

Posted By 1960fordf350 4 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (248 reputation)Supercharged (248 reputation)Supercharged (248 reputation)Supercharged (248 reputation)Supercharged (248 reputation)Supercharged (248 reputation)Supercharged (248 reputation)Supercharged (248 reputation)Supercharged (248 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Years Ago
A friend of mine just bought a 41 Ford coupe  that has a 292 stuffed in it.   The car is a project and is in pieces.   The front motor mount bolts directly to the original ford mounts and has HURST stamped in it.   However,   the water pump outlet is directly over the mount,   there is no room to attach the lower radiator hose.   Isn't there an extension for the water pump to move it forward?   What do I do for the pully and damper to align the belt?    2groove pulley?  Or a offset pulley for the water pump?   

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/2e6780b3-6e07-4836-8bf9-c3da.jpg

1960fordf350
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (248 reputation)Supercharged (248 reputation)Supercharged (248 reputation)Supercharged (248 reputation)Supercharged (248 reputation)Supercharged (248 reputation)Supercharged (248 reputation)Supercharged (248 reputation)Supercharged (248 reputation)

Sorry about the triple post,   my mouse is giving me trouble and I gave it the good smack and ended up posting 3 times!!

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/2e6780b3-6e07-4836-8bf9-c3da.jpg

miker
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
You can login, click the delete button and get rid of the other two. Easy to have happen.

Tbird's used a 1" spacer on the pump, with a different damper to make everything line up. There's some reduction in cooling efficiency (some remove the spacer and use a spacer to move the pulley back out) due to that. I don't know how you'd make that work with a stock dampener (never tried).

Rono has a Ford of about that vintage, maybe he'll chime in.

Pictures would really help.

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
MoonShadow
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)

That Hurst mount should clear the pump with no problem. Something sounds wrong. Any pictures?

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

MoonShadow, 292 w/McCulloch, 28 Chrysler Roadster, 354 Hemi)
Manchester, New Hampshire
Lord Gaga
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)

My Hurst mount interfered with the lower hose some also. I used a accordion style hose. That same hose has been on the car since 1965! No problems.

"FREE SAMPLE"
1960fordf350
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/71637c4c-45fd-40f5-884d-453f.jpghttp://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/b17734fa-c7e9-4f25-9d21-c03d.jpghttp://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/9cdce90b-45f0-45fc-b3ed-300e.jpg

charliemccraney
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 2 hours ago
It looks like the mount could be trimmed.

That water pump and generator arrangement looks iffy - hardly any contact with the water pump pulley.

Lawrenceville, GA
miker
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

I'm with Charlie on that one. I can't tell from the picture if the mount can be trimmed, I can't tell if the vertical brace is in line with the pump outlet. If I'm seeing it right in the first place.

You can probably put together some pulleys to bolt to the dampener, and space everything out a bit. Just how you make that generator mount work in all that I don't know. I'm unfamiliar with it. Is the exhaust crossover going away? Was the motor just dropped in with modification to follow? What's your friends plan?

Neat project. Here's the link to Rono's 37. He's going a little different route, but there might be a useful picture somewhere.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic81637-1.aspx

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
MoonShadow
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)

Looking at the picture I think I now know why so many of the Hurst mounts have a cutout in the bottom hose area. The new ones I have do not. I don't see any reason why one couldn't be cut out there to ease the hose fit. Another option may be to use a short piece of tubing to get past that area but that means more clamps. I have two of those old Hurst mounts still in the box that I bought when I had my 41. Never did use them though.

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

MoonShadow, 292 w/McCulloch, 28 Chrysler Roadster, 354 Hemi)
Manchester, New Hampshire
pegleg
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)

I have an aluminum one designed for a T'Bird. it would move your pump forward 1" let me know if you're interested.

Frank/Rebop

Bristol, In ( by Elkhart) 

Reading This Topic

Site Meter