Profile Picture

Has anyone ever put a Y block in this kind of car?

Posted By Daniel Jessup 4 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Question Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 6 hours ago
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/9d08a67c-a326-4095-b193-9cde.jpg

Someone literally wants to give me one of these kit cars although it is in disassembled form; most of the parts are there. At any rate, has anyone on the forum ever put a Y Block in one of these cars? Was thinking with some mods it would be a different kind of hot rod. I would imagine that the front end would need to beefed up considerably and then there are drive train issues to be concerned about. 

What say you Y Block crowd? w00t

Daniel Jessup

Loveland, Ohio

aka "The Hot Rod Reverend" w00t
check out the 1955 Ford Fairlane build at www.hotrodreverend.com

MoonShadow
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)

Last Active: 9 hours ago
They were built on different chassis. Some used Pinto engines and chassis parts. So my answer would be possibly and Y not? If its free you could certainly find a way or even put a banger in it for fun.

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

MoonShadow, 292 w/McCulloch, 28 Chrysler Roadster, 354 Hemi)
Manchester, New Hampshire
paul2748
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: 10 hours ago
I think the first thing to find out is when were these kits were  last built.  Second is if they are still being built.  Finding missing parts can be a real lesson in frustration if you can't find critical missing parts.

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

miker
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
Having put a y block in my lengthened and channeled 32, I wouldn't be inclined to try it. If the "replica" is fairly true to the original dimensions, I think length is going to be a problem. Width under the hood will make the exhaust really tough. Then comes the weight. If MoonShadow is correct (I'd be surprised if he wasn't) it's a lot more weight and power. Now you're into boxing or reinforcing the frame, and the usual hot rod stuff. Given your talents with fabrication and welding, I'd be looking at a drivetrain out of a rear drive more modern car. Or even an old B20 Volvo. I've got a soft spot for those with the SU's and the Laycock overdrive. It would be a ton of fun, and I'm sure you could get it done.

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
Ted
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Today @ 2:39:34 AM
Sounds like a good project assuming most of the parts are already there.  Some measurements of the engine bay and examination of how the frame is constructed would give a quick idea if this is a feasible project or not.

With the number of SBC engines that were put in those kit cars, I suspect they are built substantially well enough to accept almost anything that could fit between the fenders.  Mustang II front ends are popular on the kit cars and while being simple, they hold up well and are adaptable to the various engine transplants.  Because those kit cars use both front end and rear end parts from mass produced oem vehicles, replacement parts are not expected to be much of a problem and especially if one has access to some good wrecking yards.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Daniel Jessup
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)

Last Active: 6 hours ago
thank you guys for your input. I finally laid eyes on the frame and all of the parts that go with the car... much missing, including any bill of sale or title. Suffice to say the company that manufactured this kit car has a very sizable online store where you can buy almost anything to replace or purchase parts to the car. The frame is indeed a rear wheel drive, and it does have a Pinto setup in it right now. 

After examining the structural integrity of the frame, or lack thereof, I decided it was a no. Dimensionally the Y block could have fit with only a minimal work to the firewall (or what the manufacturer called a firewall), but the frame... I've seen go karts with much more strength. Not too mention the entire front end and running gear would have to be replaced, along with a better rear end to handle the power and all of that.

Just a thought...

Daniel Jessup

Loveland, Ohio

aka "The Hot Rod Reverend" w00t
check out the 1955 Ford Fairlane build at www.hotrodreverend.com

PF Arcand
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Probably your best decision.. besides it's an ugly car to begin with..

Paul

Reading This Topic

Site Meter