Profile Picture

Thunderbird Power Steering Questions

Posted By Florida_Phil 4 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
I know this isn't a TBird forum, but I'm hoping someone may be able to help. My 1955 Tbird has stock manual steering.  A friend has two complete power steering setups from a 1957 and 1959 Ford Y Block passenger car. Will the passenger car parts bolt on my TBird?  Will I need to change the pitman arm?  My car steers fine at speed.  I am looking to reduce the steering effort required when parking or turning slowly.  I want to use stock parts.  Thanks!

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

55blacktie
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
RockAuto uses the same part number for the PS control valve and cylinder (ram). The PS pump numbers are different. At least some of the parts are interchangeable. 
MoonShadow
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago
I don't think the pump part number would make a difference they bolt up to the same Y-Block. I would think that the steering arm and drag link may be shorter but I'm not sure.

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

MoonShadow, 292 w/McCulloch, 28 Chrysler Roadster, 354 Hemi)
Manchester, New Hampshire
paul2748
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: 10 hours ago
The brackets may be different because of the spacer that the Tbirds use at the waterpump, but it looks like they are available looking at CASCO's catalog

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

Genuinerod
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (233 reputation)Supercharged (233 reputation)Supercharged (233 reputation)Supercharged (233 reputation)Supercharged (233 reputation)Supercharged (233 reputation)Supercharged (233 reputation)Supercharged (233 reputation)Supercharged (233 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
The steering components are the same on all passenger cars from 1954 through 1956 including 55 through 57 T-Birds.  In 1957 and later passenger cars, that all changed.  There are parts that are Thunderbird only.  Pumps may be the same but the pump tops are lower as well as the mounting brackets to allow for lower mounting.  Hoses, idler arm mounting, and some other small parts are T-Bird only.  Pitman arms (power and non-power) and drag links (power steering) are the same for T-birds and 54-56 passenger cars.   For me I would get one of the power steering kits in the catalogs for the 55-57 T-Birds.  They are pricey ($3000.00) but everything you need is there and parts are either refurbished or new.  I did this several years ago (10 - 15) and it made a big difference in driving the car.  At the time, it was $1800 from Concours Parts.  As with all old car parts, sticker shock is the norm.  Good Luck.
55blacktie
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

I suggested that you drive a 1955-57 Tbird/w original power steering before you spend $3000. There are more-affordable, non-original options that you might prefer. Once I'm moving, I don't mind the original manual steering. I do admit that it would be nice to have light assist and a smaller steering wheel. 
Florida_Phil
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

Thanks for the input. My car drives fine around town and at speed with arm strong steering. I'm not getting any younger and I can't help but think my car would be more enjoyable with power steering.  $3,000 is a lot of money to invest in a car that is not appreciating.  There is a complete set up on EBay right now for $2,500.  This is a crazy price for used parts that need rebuilding.  I offered $1,000 but the seller turned me down.   As stated above, I did discover the 57 and up parts are different.  All the modern solutions require cutting the car or making serious modifications. I have never driven a small TBird with power steering, so there's the unknown factor.  The good news is the summer is almost over and we can get back to driving with the top down.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

Lord Gaga
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)

Last Active: Today @ 1:57:17 AM
Spending ten bucks on a pair of 3# dumb bells and exercising your arm muscles is a cheap solution! BigGrin

"FREE SAMPLE"
55blacktie
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

If you like to drive with one finger, go ahead and spend $3,000 on the kit. Personally, I like to keep both hands on the wheel. My wife uses 2 fingers at 7 o'clock. If she finds herself in a tight situation, she'll have little/no control of her car. 60+-year-old power steering does not feel like modern power steering. If you keep your manual steering, try to avoid u-turns and parallel parking. 
Dobie
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)

55blacktie (9/9/2020)
If you like to drive with one finger, go ahead and spend $3,000 on the kit. Personally, I like to keep both hands on the wheel. My wife uses 2 fingers at 7 o'clock. If she finds herself in a tight situation, she'll have little/no control of her car. 60+-year-old power steering does not feel like modern power steering. If you keep your manual steering, try to avoid u-turns and parallel parking. 

Yup, early power steering was basically a hydraulic system added to manual steering. They made parking and tight turns easier but in normal driving they felt numb due to over boosting. I'll keep my manual steering; exercise is good for ya.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter