Profile Picture

Thunderbird Power Steering Questions

Posted By Florida_Phil 4 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 4 minutes ago
For considerable less money you could install an electric power steering unit out of a modern car. I have a Toyota one for my roadster. It does require cutting the steering column to fit it but that's all it takes. That and 12v power.

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

MoonShadow, 292 w/McCulloch, 28 Chrysler Roadster, 354 Hemi)
Manchester, New Hampshire
FORD DEARBORN
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)

Last Active: 3 days ago
Phil, I know $3000 is a good chunk of change but it will probably add that value to the car because it will look right and require no cutting or altering to install it if that's what is important to you.  I was making the same decision about 4 years ago due to a worn out right shoulder. I was fortunate to have found a complete kit as sold by Ford in the day, for 61 through 64 F100s. It works great.

64F100 57FAIRLANE500
55blacktie
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Removing/replacing the steering column is not that difficult. I removed mine/w steering wheel still attached and the seat in place. You could start looking for another OEM steering column or aftermarket. Put one away and modify the other. It might not be any cheaper to go aftermarket, but you might prefer the results. I've not had firsthand experience with Borgesen, electric, or rack-and-pinion. Unless you do the work yourself, don't forget to add the cost of labor to that $3,000 price tag. 
Florida_Phil
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
I've decided to buy a gym membership instead.  BigGrin

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

55blacktie
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Make sure you exercise both arms and drive with 2 hands; otherwise, one arm will be bigger than the other. Besides looking strange, it could affect your balance or have you walking in circles. 

Reading This Topic

Site Meter