Profile Picture

Water Pump

Posted By 55blacktie 4 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 days ago
I think only a judge/fanatic would care about the missing spacer, but I was concerned about stress on the pump bearing. It seems that for every Tbird that has over-heating issues, there is one that doesn't. I won't know if I licked the problem until I complete the restoration and put it back on the road.

Thanks

By the way, are there any water pumps I should avoid?
GREENBIRD56
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
I for one, haven't seen any pointed remarks about a bad pump brand. They all seem to work if there is an effort made to allow them to flow plenty of coolant through the radiator at idle. I have seen some that didn't seem to have the factory number of internal impeller blades. There was a T-bird parts vendor that used to sell a kit to renew the pump shaft / bearing / seal - for people dead set on having the proper Ford numbers on the casting. I don't think I would try that myself.

I pulled up the Paragon data to have a look (engineers are like that) - and it looks like his porting arrangement gains a few GPM down at the desired low idle speed. Certainly worth working on if you have the front dress off the engine. I remember several years ago that Hoosier mentioned having to "massage" the front of a new block he prepped for the Hurricane race engine. There are apparently still more potential obstructions at the entry point from the front cover.

I'm glad someone has mentioned the air flow issue - using a smaller pulley and a fan with more blades is a worthwhile change. I put a fan clutch on mine - there is room on the bird (not the sedan). They lose about 10% speed from slippage - no total lock-up. To go on the Hayden clutch I fitted a cut down 7 blade aluminum fan from an old GTO. The air temp coming back from the radiator operates the viscous clutch so the system is pretty much automated. Fan turns slow (slips) at start-up, radiator heated air cranks it up - at speed the increased air flow cools it down and it slips until needed. 

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/9ea2bf28-00c4-4772-9ac7-d154.jpg 
 Steve Metzger       Tucson, Arizona
55blacktie
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

I bought Chris Ames's water pump spacer, after talking to Ted Eaton and Gil Baumgartner (CTCI). However, I won't install it until my engine is rebuilt. Chris is a straight-up guy, who has invested considerable time, effort, and money on the spacer. The patent process took 5 1/2 years. He received confirmation of the issuance of the patent 15 minutes before the new year, and he received patent-of-the year award. He's very proud of the spacer for which he deserves recognition. He has received a few requests from non-Tbird owners, but he politely explained that the spacer is only used on Tbirds. His overheating problem cost him a newly rebuilt  engine. If he hadn't come up with a solution, he was going to say goodbye to the car. "Necessity is the mother of invention." If you read this, Thank you, Chris. 
55 GLASS TOP
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Bob Drake makes a nice pump ceramic seals ball and roller bearings reconfigured impeller for high flow a little high price but my car can sit in the drive was and idle for as long as I need without running hot. Good pump I have it on both my cars I have never overheated. 
55blacktie
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

I'll check it out. Thanks, Glass Top 55.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter