Profile Picture

Carter Street Super Mechanical Fuel Pump M6905

Posted By 55blacktie 4 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 days ago
Is anyone using this fuel pump? It's rated 120 gph @ 5.5 -7 psi. Will I need a regulator for a Holley Street Avenger 570? Holley recommends 5-7 psi. 
Dobie
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
That pump should play well with your carb per Holley's pressure spec, but best to verify what pressure it actually puts out. That will tell you whether you need a regulator or not.
DryLakesRacer
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

We run a similar Carter for a different 422” engine; Same rating and use a regulator set at 5psi on the recommendation of our carb guy. It has not failed in severe dirt track conditions. We feed the pump with a -8 line and the line to the carb from the pump is also -8. Fittings are drilled larger.
I’m sure this pump would feed a dual quad Holley equipped big inch engine or any engine I could think of. I only concern my use of any pump with not having too much pressure on the needle and seat (regulator) and the volume it can put out.

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
MoonShadow
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)

Last Active: 3 hours ago
I've used a Holley Competition pump along with a regulator for years. Works great! Its listed for a 427 FE.

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

MoonShadow, 292 w/McCulloch, 28 Chrysler Roadster, 354 Hemi)
Manchester, New Hampshire
Lord Gaga
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)

Last Active: 11 hours ago
Are really going to need 120 GPH?  Is this for a race car?
Get the small street version, it will be all you need. I'm running one on a dual 550 carbed 322....plenty!
(You're talking about an electric pump, right?)

"FREE SAMPLE"
DryLakesRacer
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Lord... that # is a mechanical pump..

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
55blacktie
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

What "small street version" are you talking about?
GREENBIRD56
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Last Active: Last Month
I'm a believer in running a full mechanical (diaphragm style) pump on a street engine. The one that specs for a "police" FE 428, four barrel is good for a 335 HP stocker. You just have to be sure you have a big enough suction line to the tank - 3/8 will work. The key issue: you have to have delivery of at least 30 gph at the desired carb pressure to support 300 HP. This number is usually reported in "pounds per hour" on a dyno sheet.
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/372e89c6-0c50-4d33-a6b9-1031.jpg 
This chart came from an old Holley catalog and shows how the flow drops when regulated to the desired carb inlet pressure of 4.5 psi. The term "free flow" implies no back pressure so that isn't the number you want.   

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/9ea2bf28-00c4-4772-9ac7-d154.jpg 
 Steve Metzger       Tucson, Arizona
55blacktie
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Thank you.

The OEM line from the tank is 5/16". The Carter pump inlet and outlet are 1/4 NPT. It sounds like I'll be fine with the Carter pump and a regulator. I would only use an electric pump as an auxiliary for starting on hot days, after car has been sitting a while.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter