Profile Picture

Power Steering Conversion

Posted By Florida_Phil 4 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
I know this isn't specifically a TBird Forum, but some of you may be of help.  I am considering adding power steering to my 1955 TBird. Kits are selling from $1,000 to $3,000. My car has a manual transmission. The electric power steering units that I have seen may not work because of the clutch linkage.   I do not wish to cut my car or my steering column.   I would prefer to use stock components.  Is it possible to piece together the parts I need?  What parts will need to be rebuilt?  Anyone done this?

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

Cliff
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Yes, look for a screw ball that is converting to rack and pinion, I bought a the drag link and small parts for $250.00, and pieced the rest. look at a Ford parts book, some parts also come on cars (few)
famdoc3
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (404 reputation)Supercharged (404 reputation)Supercharged (404 reputation)Supercharged (404 reputation)Supercharged (404 reputation)Supercharged (404 reputation)Supercharged (404 reputation)Supercharged (404 reputation)Supercharged (404 reputation)

Last Active: 3 days ago
Yes it is easily possible but if you want it to look “right” On your bird it will be a little expensive by the time your done. The pump and brackets for the motor, the valve on the linkage, the idler arm, then the hoses. The steering box is the same. I’ve seen complete kits that need to be rebuilt in the 2500 dollar range. The pumps are a problem because rebuild parts are no longer available. There are Cardone units that are new that probably can be modified to fit the plate mount that is part of the system. The reservoir is a t’bird only part as it has a short filler neck as is the pump pulley. I have done this conversion to my car and it works great.

Mike, still lovin his 57 t'bird after 53 years!
paul2748
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Call this guy -Adrian - he has a number of tbirds that he parts out  570-709-0823  or lilbirds567@wmconnect.com

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

Reading This Topic

Site Meter