Profile Picture

ARP main cap stud Install question

Posted By dennis22 4 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (412 reputation)Supercharged (412 reputation)Supercharged (412 reputation)Supercharged (412 reputation)Supercharged (412 reputation)Supercharged (412 reputation)Supercharged (412 reputation)Supercharged (412 reputation)Supercharged (412 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Hi guys,

I might have messed up here...

I have some ARP main cap studs for the 272 y block (1956 ECG from truck) and I’m wondering if I can install these in in my engine? Or do I have to drill the block holes deeper to use these studs as the instruction say. My y block isn’t high performance and I was hoping to be able to install them straight out of the pack. I opted for these rather then bolts because I thought they would be better, but if I have to drill the block holes deeper then it’s too far out of my league.

I measured the stud in the main cap compared to the factory bolt and the studs should work, the thread on the nut side is getting close to bottoming out on the thread but with the washers it’s looks like it will be ok. I understand by not drilling the block that the studs won’t have their full clamping potential.

Anyway, are they stillI usable on the 272?

Instructions

I Missed this from Mummert’s website🤦‍♂️

Thanks, Dennis.

56 F100 - 272 Y Block
NSW, Australia.

Joe-JDC
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)

Last Active: 6 hours ago
You will have as much thread engagement as the stock bolts.  The bolts are designed as a direct replacement.   There is two trains of thought on "bottoming out" the ARP threads.  1.  Run them down finger tight and back off 1/4 turn, and 2.  Run them down and torque 5-15 ft/lb.  Then torque to specifications using the correct torque pattern in steps.  The strength of the ARP bolts will be greater than the stock bolts with same thread depth.  Remember the fine threads of the nuts and washer will require less torque to acquire the same clamping force of the stock bolts.  Joe-JDC

JDC
DryLakesRacer
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
I have used 2 hardened ARP washers for my racing GMC 6’s on mains and head studs. I have also cut many of them with a hacksaw when necessary since there are none “technically” for my engine. Any of the above suggestions will be fine. Remember as stated when you are torquing fine threads they are not the same as course specs..

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
dennis22
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (412 reputation)Supercharged (412 reputation)Supercharged (412 reputation)Supercharged (412 reputation)Supercharged (412 reputation)Supercharged (412 reputation)Supercharged (412 reputation)Supercharged (412 reputation)Supercharged (412 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Thanks Joe,

I was hoping that they would be fine!

Drylakes- Thanks for the input. I did think about doubling up washers but I thought there was sufficient thread to use single washers

As always- thanks for the feedback, very much appreciated! Now if I can only get those heads sorted out🤦‍♂️

Thanks, Dennis.

56 F100 - 272 Y Block
NSW, Australia.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter