Profile Picture

312 upgrades. Thoughts

Posted By ErnieL 4 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (80 reputation)Supercharged (80 reputation)Supercharged (80 reputation)Supercharged (80 reputation)Supercharged (80 reputation)Supercharged (80 reputation)Supercharged (80 reputation)Supercharged (80 reputation)Supercharged (80 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
I had the honor of talking to Ted a bit the other day, and even though we were both trying to make a living in our respective businesses, we had time for a conversation.
One thing we beat around a bit was juicing up this 312 a bit.
Now, before I owned my car, about 15 years back, it was lifted out of a low mileage 57 Turnpike Cruiser, resealed, detailed, and dropped into my 56 Meteor.
It runs well, but folks, it’s a total dog off the line, even taking into account the second gear start. A postal van will give it a run for the first block or two. It retained all the 56 stuff; dual vacuum distributor, the correct teapot Holly, but still sports the 57 exhaust manifolds.
Everything is as it should be, timing’s on, cam’s good, no tight valves, carb could use an internal refresh, but I have been having some different thoughts.
It’s detailed as per stock, and I want to retain that as much as possible, so I’m thinking a simple swap out of a painted Mummert intake, Summit 600, and a late distributor. The oil bath will go back on, and it’ll be detailed back to stock for shows and such. I’m just looking for a bit more response around town, even when not flooring or pulling it down into low.
Thoughts, y’all?

56 Meteor 4 dr hardtop
56 Meteor 2 dr hardtop
55 Sunliner
53 Lincoln Capri 2 dr hardtop
58 Skyliner

Anna, Tx
miker
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: 5 days ago
Welcome to the site. I saw your first post, but got busy and didn't respond.

I saw the picture of the car (small and fuzzy) on your profile. Great ride, can't be many of those around. Are you down here in the states? You could add your location to your signature line.

You won't get better advice than from Ted, but I'll put my 2 cents in.

The 57 4 barrel manifold is a pretty fair performer on a stock engine. I think it will accept a modern carb, if it doesn't have one. Just the 57 up distributor and carb will really help. If it's got the later carb with the 56 dizzy, or the older manifold, that's the problem right there. I saw your post on the old air cleaner mods, so that's another step.

What's the long range plan for the car? What other accessories might you add? It's nice to have a plan from the beginning

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
MoonShadow
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)

Last Active: 18 minutes ago
When a Ford O Matic is adjusted properly it will take off from a dead stop in 1st gear if you punch it. Look in a manual for the adjustment methods its not that difficult. Or you can manually start off in low and then upshift to second.

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

MoonShadow, 292 w/McCulloch, 28 Chrysler Roadster, 354 Hemi)
Manchester, New Hampshire
ErnieL
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (80 reputation)Supercharged (80 reputation)Supercharged (80 reputation)Supercharged (80 reputation)Supercharged (80 reputation)Supercharged (80 reputation)Supercharged (80 reputation)Supercharged (80 reputation)Supercharged (80 reputation)

Thanks for the responses, folks. Yes, I’m in North Texas, about 10 miles north of McKinney in Anna. I’m a couple hours from Ted’s shop.
I own and operate a transmission shop, so I’m very familiar with the various BW transmission variations and what can be done there. Mine works well as advertised, and yes, if I floor it off the line it’ll start in low.

The car itself has led a charmed life. It was loved and babied by a real Meteor guy back in the 70s-80s who had pulled it from an old lady’s garage in Vancouver, was purchased in the 90s by a 55-57 Ford guy where it joined his collection and who also babied it and did some minor restoration plus replaced the 312, and he sold it to a guy in Arkansas where it joined his collection.
All were members of the Crown Vic Association, as am I.
That’s why I tracked down this particular car. I knew it’s history, it’s led a charmed life, bought and babied along the way by folks who knew what it was: one of 545 Meteor 4dr hardtops built in 56. There’s only 3 or 4 left, the weak body sagged in the middle if rust got into them. Mine’s rust free, Praise Jesus.

The exhaust manifolds are 57, the intake looks 56. I’ll verify that. But yes, my goal here is to juice it up a bit without major surgery, and then be happy with that it is, a super rare piece of Ford history.

Now, for a bit more fun, I have a 56 Crown that I hope to have Ted work his magic on. The 292 is tired and needs help.
Im kind of an odd duck, I like the original look. On the inside and the outside, but what’s underneath, that’s another story.

Ernie

56 Meteor 4 dr hardtop
56 Meteor 2 dr hardtop
55 Sunliner
58 Skyliner

Anna, Tx
Cliff
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
You need more compression, and a better cam (Isky E-4 is good), the heads you would want are 113 or ECZ-G, keep the deck height as close to Ford specs as possible, used a steel head gasket (E Bay), change to 1.54 rocker arms, add a FoMoCo 4bbl manifold (1957 or newer) a 3310 Holley is nice, use a 1959 or newer distributor (easier to get advance parts).  All this will keep a stock look and run nice.  
Lord Gaga
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)

Last Active: 6 hours ago
ErnieL, your plan sounds good.
 Changing the cam and heads would be nice but involves a lot of work because you must also change the lifters. If you do that you might as well rebuild the engine!

"FREE SAMPLE"
ErnieL
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Lord Gaga (8/16/2020)
ErnieL, your plan sounds good.
 Changing the cam and heads would be nice but involves a lot of work because you must also change the lifters. If you do that you might as well rebuild the engine!

Yes, quite!
I’m goi g to check the numbers on my intake and if it’s a suitable number, possibly smooth it a bit and call it a day, then change carb and that spark making device I cuss at a lot.
If it’s a 56 intake, which I feel it is, on goes one of Those fancy Mummert intakes, suitably ground down to eliminate the telltale look. I’m holding out hope it’s a 57, but I doubt it.

However, this 56 Crown that’s sitting in the corner is another story. It’ll get the full meal deal.

56 Meteor 4 dr hardtop
56 Meteor 2 dr hardtop
55 Sunliner
58 Skyliner

Anna, Tx
darrell
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
a friend of mine has one.
ErnieL
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

darrell (8/16/2020)
a friend of mine has one.

A Meteor? Or a 57 intake?

56 Meteor 4 dr hardtop
56 Meteor 2 dr hardtop
55 Sunliner
58 Skyliner

Anna, Tx
Florida_Phil
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

If you swap out your current distributor, intake and carburetor, you will think you have a different engine.  My 292 has a stock 1957 4V iron intake, Holley 465 and a stock 1957 Ford distributor and it will out run any postal van in my neighborhood. Hehe

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

Reading This Topic

Site Meter