Profile Picture

I like to push my luck with tires

Posted By junkyardjeff 4 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Months Ago
The tires on my truck were old and since I have a frame swap planned for next spring to go to a 3/4 ton I really did not want to buy new tires for the front,the tread was good and not really cracked so I took off for Cleveland Ohio to pick up a 62 COM trans and north of Columbus one loses air so time to put the spare on.   Jack is froze up and even though the spare held air it had two nails in it so I borrowed a jack and limped to the next town and got a pair of cheap new tires and continued my trip,I know I used that jack a couple years ago but this time it looked like it had been laying on the bottom of a lake and the spare came from a truck I parted out but probably did not look over too closely since it held air.   Made for a exciting day and something to laugh about after I got home,from now on I will have to make sure those factory jacks are oiled up and used frequently but this truck how has a well oiled scissor jack behind the seat and I need to find a better spare..

Butchering up everything I can get my hands on in Dayton Ohio
darrell
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
we used to have a saying any tire that holds air is a good one
Joe-JDC
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)

Last Active: 4 hours ago
Not me.  Tires are the only thing that keeps you from a catastrophe at 70 mph or more.  My wife's Avalon only has 48,000 miles on it, but the tires were weather cracked after 7 years and being garaged kept.  I replaced all of them even though they looked like they could go for 80K miles by the treads.  I value her life more than a few dollars and peace of mind on those old weather cracked times.  On my truck, it had 65,000 miles on the original tires, and looked like they could go for another 30K, but a nail, and a cut that I had been watching made it easy to go ahead and lay down the money for another new set of tires.  It is fool hardy to push your luck to risk your life on a few extra miles on unsafe tires.  JMO, but is it really worth your life or the life of someone else when an accidental blow-out causes you to veer into another vehicle at speed?  That is why we have state inspections here in Texas.  Joe-JDC

JDC
junkyardjeff
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
I was not the only one having tire troubles that day,after mine went I counted about ten with flat tires and were much nicer vehicles then mine.

Butchering up everything I can get my hands on in Dayton Ohio
DANIEL TINDER
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)

Joe-JDC (8/4/2020)
Not me.  Tires are the only thing that keeps you from a catastrophe at 70 mph or more.  My wife's Avalon only has 48,000 miles on it, but the tires were weather cracked after 7 years and being garaged kept.  I replaced all of them even though they looked like they could go for 80K miles by the treads.  I value her life more than a few dollars and peace of mind on those old weather cracked times.  On my truck, it had 65,000 miles on the original tires, and looked like they could go for another 30K, but a nail, and a cut that I had been watching made it easy to go ahead and lay down the money for another new set of tires.  It is fool hardy to push your luck to risk your life on a few extra miles on unsafe tires.  JMO, but is it really worth your life or the life of someone else when an accidental blow-out causes you to veer into another vehicle at speed?  That is why we have state inspections here in Texas.  Joe-JDC

True.  Might be time to bite-the-bullet and face reality.  After rotating back-to-front, I find the car now pulls to the left. Swapped the fronts and will now see if it pull right (suspect tire, though not cracked & little tread wear, looks like might have a belt-shift).  Hate to toss tires that still look so good, but 11 years could be pushing my luck.

6 VOLTS/POS. GRD. NW INDIANA
paul2748
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
So pushing your luck came back and bit you in the rear

junkyardjeff (8/3/2020)
The tires on my truck were old and since I have a frame swap planned for next spring to go to a 3/4 ton I really did not want to buy new tires for the front,the tread was good and not really cracked so I took off for Cleveland Ohio to pick up a 62 COM trans and north of Columbus one loses air so time to put the spare on.   Jack is froze up and even though the spare held air it had two nails in it so I borrowed a jack and limped to the next town and got a pair of cheap new tires and continued my trip,I know I used that jack a couple years ago but this time it looked like it had been laying on the bottom of a lake and the spare came from a truck I parted out but probably did not look over too closely since it held air.   Made for a exciting day and something to laugh about after I got home,from now on I will have to make sure those factory jacks are oiled up and used frequently but this truck how has a well oiled scissor jack behind the seat and I need to find a better spare..

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

DANIEL TINDER
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)

Not yet.  Turns out, car pulls left with either good tire (rotated from the rear) on the left front.  Was tracking straight before rotation, so will put them all back in orig. position, and see if pull goes away.  If not, I must assume something went askew when I jacked the A arms all the way up to change the bumpers recently, or the right front brake was maybe dragging (?) before I changed the drums (thus possibly cancelling an obvious misalignment issue that explains the excessive tire wear/positive camber on the right front?).
Whatever.  No sense in getting an alignment until new tires are installed, and the model I want is out-of-stock/backordered.

6 VOLTS/POS. GRD. NW INDIANA
ErnieL
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (80 reputation)Supercharged (80 reputation)Supercharged (80 reputation)Supercharged (80 reputation)Supercharged (80 reputation)Supercharged (80 reputation)Supercharged (80 reputation)Supercharged (80 reputation)Supercharged (80 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
If the air ain’t showing through you’re good to go.

56 Meteor 4 dr hardtop
56 Meteor 2 dr hardtop
55 Sunliner
53 Lincoln Capri 2 dr hardtop
58 Skyliner

Anna, Tx

Reading This Topic

Site Meter