Profile Picture

Thunderbird radiator for 1956 Victoria

Posted By one piece at a time 4 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Question Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (116 reputation)Supercharged (116 reputation)Supercharged (116 reputation)Supercharged (116 reputation)Supercharged (116 reputation)Supercharged (116 reputation)Supercharged (116 reputation)Supercharged (116 reputation)Supercharged (116 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Months Ago
I am needing to know if a t bird radiator will bolt up to a 56 Crown Vic. It has been suggested to me to get a two row aluminum radiator with 1 1/4 “ or 1 1/2” tubes because of airflow issues.Griffin is the only one I have been able to find that meets this requirements. I didn’t want to mortgage my house to get one. Wizard makes one but the outlet is only 1.75”. I need 2”  and almost as expensive as a Griffin . I have read good things about Champions and Cold Case but they only make two rows for the t bird not the full size car. I can find plenty of 3&4 row Champions but not what I am looking for. So has anyone put a T bird radiator in a full size car? If so what does it take to do so. Thanks 

Duane
patm
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (142 reputation)Supercharged (142 reputation)Supercharged (142 reputation)Supercharged (142 reputation)Supercharged (142 reputation)Supercharged (142 reputation)Supercharged (142 reputation)Supercharged (142 reputation)Supercharged (142 reputation)

Auto City Classic may have what you are looking for. They are on Ebay. Try this Ebay number: 291531588311.

I installed this radiator on my 1954 Victoria about 2 years ago. Painted it with Rust-Oleum self etching primer and then with High Heat (bar B Q Black) paint (flat). It looks good and I am very happy with this radiator in the Tucson Arizona heat.

Pat in AZ
one piece at a time
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (116 reputation)Supercharged (116 reputation)Supercharged (116 reputation)Supercharged (116 reputation)Supercharged (116 reputation)Supercharged (116 reputation)Supercharged (116 reputation)Supercharged (116 reputation)Supercharged (116 reputation)

Thanks Pat
I already put one of those in it lasted about 2 months 1000 miles before it sprung a leak. It did cool but material is thin would like to find a little better quality if I can. The US Radiator copper and brass 4 core that replaced it is to restricted.

Duane
one piece at a time
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Thanks Pat
I already put one of those in it lasted about 2 months 1000 miles before it sprung a leak. It did cool but material is thin would like to find a little better quality if I can. The US Radiator copper and brass 4 core that replaced it is to restricted.

Duane
patm
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (142 reputation)Supercharged (142 reputation)Supercharged (142 reputation)Supercharged (142 reputation)Supercharged (142 reputation)Supercharged (142 reputation)Supercharged (142 reputation)Supercharged (142 reputation)Supercharged (142 reputation)

Duane,

With what you state, I'll keep a close watch on mine. For what it is worth, I use a 7 pound cap and distilled water.

Pat in AZ
Florida_Phil
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
I have a Champion radiator in my TBird.  I have no complaints. I do not know if it will fit your 56 Vic.  My Champion Radiator does not look original.  It has a flat top. I run an electric fan in place of the stock fan.  I live in Florida and my car does not overheat.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/47d219d6-cf4a-4d33-acf6-c18b.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

Hoosier Hurricane
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 3 hours ago
The T-Bird radiator is not a bolt-in replacement for the passenger car.  It's wider, shorter, and designed to mount angled back at the top.  That's not to say the car and radiator could not be modified to fit.

John - "The Hoosier Hurricane"
http://www.y-blocksforever.com/avatars/johnf.jpg
oldcarmark
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

Last Active: 4 days ago
Maybe You got a Defective One. I have had One in mine for 2 Years.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg
one piece at a time
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Thanks John. I don’t mind modifying the mounting. Looking at the pictures that are available on eBay and on line it appears that the T bird is square on the bottom tank. This is mainly what I am needing to verify if it is or not. If so I’m pretty sure it won’t work as mine is angled and fits inside a frame. Does the T bird’s fit in a frame?

Duane
Ted
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 5 days ago
Champion makes a bolt in radiator for the ‘55/56 Ford cars.  And they are very reasonably priced.  I have one in my ’55 Customline and it fit and works just fine.  I replaced the original radiator only because it was a constant battle in keeping the top tank sealed even with a 7# radiator cap.  I now run the 16# cap that came with the new radiator with no issues.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Reading This Topic

Site Meter