Profile Picture

1955 Thunderbird with front end squeak

Posted By 312YBlock 4 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
Hi, after starting my tbird cold I drive out of my driveway, at the end of it there is about a 1 inch drop to the street. As soon as the front wheels go over the edge and touch the street I get a squeak, same on return and occasionally while driving. I’ve been all over the exhaust system and it seems to have clearance through the frame X etc. The mufflers are secure and pipes look fine. Any ideas it’s making me nuts 🤪

1955 312 T-Bird Warwick, NY
paul2748
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: 9 hours ago
Could be the bushings in the front end

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

312YBlock
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)

Hmmm, the lower bushings are new the upper were new when installed years ago and are slightly cracked but intact. I have to check the bolts on the air deflector under the radiator, that might flex a little with the frame if one wheel contacts the ground before the other.

Florida_Phil
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

My 55 Tbird has had numerous front end mystery clicks, sqeeks and pops since I've had it.   I've fixed most of them.  My ball joints, tie rod ends and bushings are all new.  When I got my car, I blasted and rebuild the entire front end.

Once I discovered one of the horn brackets was flexing allowing the horn to hit the grill. I practically had to take my entire front cap apart to replace the front radiator deflector. Apparently, a previous owner tried to fix overheating by torching holes in mine?  What I discovered during this project is some Thunderbird metal parts are subject to flexing.  As you discovered, the front radiator deflector is metal to metal with the radiator support.  If all those bolts are not in place and tight, you will get all kinds of strange noises.

The exhaust system in these cars can also make strange noises.  These problems normally go away after the car heats up.  At this time, my car has decided to give me a break and quiet down. Unsure

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

312YBlock
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

I think it’s my “never ending story” 🤷🏽‍♂️

312YBlock
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

I found the source of the squeak. It was coming from the upper control arm bushings and thank you Paul, Phil for the insight. I say “was” because I stopped it with Silicone spray. The bushings were dry and cracked but intact. After the initial application I didn’t notice anything, a week or so later I went for a ride and the squeaks seemed to have diminished. A week or so after that I went for a drive and the squeak was 90 percent gone. I applied the silicone spray to the bushings a second time and several days later took the car over a route where I knew just where I would get the squeak, the silence was deafening NO SQUEAK, 100% gone. 🚗

cokefirst
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (292 reputation)Supercharged (292 reputation)Supercharged (292 reputation)Supercharged (292 reputation)Supercharged (292 reputation)Supercharged (292 reputation)Supercharged (292 reputation)Supercharged (292 reputation)Supercharged (292 reputation)

Last Active: 3 days ago
Back in the late 1960's I owned and worked in service stations.  We used to buy a product called Rubberlube  it came in a gallon can and we used to put it in a sprayer that was pressurised with our air compressor.  when a car came in for a lube job, we liberally sprayed that on the rubber parts.  I am not sure who made it but I am not finding any information on it with a google search.  
Bogner24
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Turbocharged

Turbocharged (55 reputation)Turbocharged (55 reputation)Turbocharged (55 reputation)Turbocharged (55 reputation)Turbocharged (55 reputation)Turbocharged (55 reputation)Turbocharged (55 reputation)Turbocharged (55 reputation)Turbocharged (55 reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
We used WD40 on rubber sway bar bushings at the dealership where I worked. Silicone sounds way better.

1956 F600 272
2005 F250 5.4

DryLakesRacer
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

cokefirst, I used the same thing and have looked for it for 10 years to no avail. One of the best lube products I can remember..

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
cokefirst
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (292 reputation)Supercharged (292 reputation)Supercharged (292 reputation)Supercharged (292 reputation)Supercharged (292 reputation)Supercharged (292 reputation)Supercharged (292 reputation)Supercharged (292 reputation)Supercharged (292 reputation)

Last Active: 3 days ago
Thanks for the verification.  I am never sure if the memories are real or just early Alzheimer's.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter