Profile Picture

Bent pushrod

Posted By dennis22 4 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (412 reputation)Supercharged (412 reputation)Supercharged (412 reputation)Supercharged (412 reputation)Supercharged (412 reputation)Supercharged (412 reputation)Supercharged (412 reputation)Supercharged (412 reputation)Supercharged (412 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Hi guys,

just had the F100 running and driving for the first time and the drivers side head had a tapping noise one day on start up.

i pulled the rocker covers off and found 3 pushrods had dropped out. One had disappeared into the valley, one got jammed in the hole and the other was pushed aside. The jammed one is bent, now I’m wondering what damage could have it done to the cam?

I swapped out the nut adjusters to the hex head type on the drivers side when I bought new rockers but there were only 8 in stock so I didn’t do the passengers side.

the new adjusters had loosened up and that’s why the push rods dropped out, the passenger side with the interference thread are still tight. I must not have cranked the new adjusters tight enough. Anyway I’ll be going back to the original interference adjusters.

You can see the 4th adjuster Is about to wind off(bent pushrod)

Thanks, Dennis.

56 F100 - 272 Y Block
NSW, Australia.

Hoosier Hurricane
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: Yesterday
I'm sure it is a misprint, but to be sure there should be 12PINS between the dots on the sprockets, not 12 links.  Only should b e 6 links.

John - "The Hoosier Hurricane"
http://www.y-blocksforever.com/avatars/johnf.jpg
Ted
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 days ago
Without knowing more as to what happened, I’ll just guess that the locking nuts were simply not tightened enough. Replace the bent push rods and try it again.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

dennis22
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (412 reputation)Supercharged (412 reputation)Supercharged (412 reputation)Supercharged (412 reputation)Supercharged (412 reputation)Supercharged (412 reputation)Supercharged (412 reputation)Supercharged (412 reputation)Supercharged (412 reputation)

Thanks Ted,

Exactly what happened. That’s the plan, fingers crossed. I’ve never had a bent pushrod before so I guess I’m worried if there has been damage to the cam. I’ll check the lift once everything is back together.

Thanks, Dennis.

56 F100 - 272 Y Block
NSW, Australia.

darrell
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
these nuts have to be ringing tight.i had them fall of a 57 merc many years ago.learned my lesson.
dennis22
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Yeah I think I will go back to the interference type adjusters, just to be safe (save human error)

Thanks, Dennis.

56 F100 - 272 Y Block
NSW, Australia.

MattsY
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (238 reputation)Supercharged (238 reputation)Supercharged (238 reputation)Supercharged (238 reputation)Supercharged (238 reputation)Supercharged (238 reputation)Supercharged (238 reputation)Supercharged (238 reputation)Supercharged (238 reputation)

Thinking out loud here, but I wonder if a little green loctite would help?
dennis22
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Yeah I was thinking the same thing.

Does anyone know where to get tubular pushrods from- 5/16 by 8.125 long

Thanks, Dennis.

56 F100 - 272 Y Block
NSW, Australia.

PF Arcand
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
I'm hardly an expert on rocker issues..but going back to interference adjusters is not a guarantee of no problems, from what I've garnered from other blurbs.  They've been known to not hold also, especially if old & well used. There was at one time oversize thread ones available apparently, but I doubt U would find them now.. Good luck..      

Paul
DryLakesRacer
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Every racing engine and almost every street engine I’ve ever owned has had adjusters with lock nuts. I’ve even made aluminum lock nuts to save weight. If I was building a “scrubby” for the street it would have T&D’s or Jessel’s to get rid of posts. If you need to eliminate adjusting, build an old Oldsmobile with hydraulic lifters and fixed rockers.

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter