Profile Picture

1955 Thunderbird Exhaust problem

Posted By 312YBlock 4 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
I’m having a problem where the muffler outlet pipe extensions are binding inside the bumper housing causing an annoying squeak when the pipes heat up and expand. When the pipes cool and retract they are pressed so firmly against the housing that the bumper actually gets bent backwards. Has anyone had a problem like this?

1955 312 T-Bird Warwick, NY
Joe-JDC
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)

Last Active: 4 hours ago
What are your exhaust pipes constructed out of?  Stainless, steel tubing, aluminized steel tubing?  Mufflers?  Some of those have very different expansion rates.   Joe-JDC

JDC
Florida_Phil
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

My 55 Bird has a stock exhaust system purchased from NPD.   I use Autozone chrome exhaust tips where the pipes run through the rear bumper.  I removed the stock rings with the rubber tabs that hold the pipes in position.  The chrome tips are attached to the end of the pipes.  This system is constructed with separate pipes held together with muffler clamps. 

I'm not all that happy with this system, but it's cheap and it works. When my pipes heat up and cool down, they pop for a minute or two.  This bothered me for some time.  I am used to it now.  The exhaust rattles some at first where the tips exit though the bumper.  Once it heats up, it stops rattling.  My bumper does not flex.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/45ab7445-0a87-4959-9081-2a1f.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

312YBlock
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)Supercharged (591 reputation)

That’s a good tip, “no pun intended 😊”. I wonder if Teflon tape wrapped around them would deaden the cold rattle, it should also be able to withstand the heat.

Thanks for getting back to me.
Frank

312YBlock
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

NAPA has a fiberglass tape good to 2000 degrees.

312YBlock
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

I’m having a tough time finding tips that will fit. I like your solution and nice ride by the way. Would you remember the dimensions or part number?

Florida_Phil
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

I bought them at my local Advance Auto Parts store.  The pipe tips are about 2 1/4" in diameter.  They are about 5 inches long with a beveled end.  They were cheap.  Go to Amazon and look for Walker 35595 Chrome Exhaust Pipe Tip.  I think this is what I have. 

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/db08d874-6ce1-4b0a-87d3-d621.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

312YBlock
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Hi Phil, I emailed Jim Brown from CASCO explaining my problem, one of his Tech people Joe called me. I explained the tight fit and he told me the exhaust extensions are bent by hand and may have to be tweaked to obtain a proper fit. He said they routinely do this in the shop. I put the hanger brackets back into the bumperetts and put everything back to stock making sure the pipes were aligned properly. Both pipes were tightly pressed into the top of the bumper brackets. I did some math and realized I needed a 3/8” bend to center the pipes in the bracket. I took them to a muffler shop who bent them “no charge”. I installed everything and problem solved, no rattling, binding or popping.

Florida_Phil
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Thanks for the tip.  Casco is a great resource. I've called their tech department numerous times and they have always been helpful.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter