Profile Picture

1955/57 Thunderbird engine side supports/stabalizers

Posted By Carefree Charlie 4 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Question Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Turbocharged

Turbocharged (69 reputation)Turbocharged (69 reputation)Turbocharged (69 reputation)Turbocharged (69 reputation)Turbocharged (69 reputation)Turbocharged (69 reputation)Turbocharged (69 reputation)Turbocharged (69 reputation)Turbocharged (69 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Months Ago
Has anyone had a problem with the 1955/57 TB supports failing or bending under heavy launch? Is there an alternative that is stronger? Will using larger threaded stock help?
paul2748
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: 7 hours ago
I guess if your bending them, a larger diameter rod might help.  I don't do power launches so haven't had any problems with mine

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

miker
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
You might look at the FPA headers, which use heim joints. A member here has them, and he's got shots of the bird pulling a front wheel. But this is the first time I've heard of anyone having that problem. Good rubber bushings, everything properly tighten?

I broke a rear leaf one time, not to mention other parts in between, but never bent the rods

http://www.fordpowertrain.com/Tbirdheader.htm

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
Carefree Charlie
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Turbocharged

Turbocharged (69 reputation)Turbocharged (69 reputation)Turbocharged (69 reputation)Turbocharged (69 reputation)Turbocharged (69 reputation)Turbocharged (69 reputation)Turbocharged (69 reputation)Turbocharged (69 reputation)Turbocharged (69 reputation)

Thank you. I am using Sanderson headers now. May be worth looking into the headers you mentioned. The rods from the headers appear to be longer and go straight down to the frame and without the rubber bushings.
Florida_Phil
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
I don't do launches in my TBird either.  Potentially expensive. As you probably know, the stock stabilizers have rubber bushings.  It sounds like your car has been modified already in that department. In a TBird like ours, nothing serious is holding the engine from torquing over except the front and transmission mount.  Those stock stabilizer rods are pretty flimsy.   Back in the day we used a piece of chain bolted from the frame to engine to hold it in position under load.  You can put solid mounts in your car, but it will create vibrations.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

Vic Correnti
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
I have cracked the engine side stock mounting brackets losened the frame ones rivets but never bent the rods. I did break a heim joint that came with the PFA headers. They were hardware grade. For what it's worth I'm thinking the rod on the left is being pulled when the engine is torqued on a hard launch.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/7393d096-cbf0-4ed0-bfdc-c4b0.jpg  Vic Correnti

Carefree Charlie
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Turbocharged

I bent one of the supports where it attaches to the block. I have replaced it. I have new support rods with new rubber and metal. I erred in my statement when I wrote that I bent a support rod. However one of the rods must of bent or stretched somehow to bend the support that bolts to the block.
I am using a Flaming River rack and pinion so , according to FPA, their headers won't fit. Maybe a chain or a larger support bolt will work. 
famdoc3
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (404 reputation)Supercharged (404 reputation)Supercharged (404 reputation)Supercharged (404 reputation)Supercharged (404 reputation)Supercharged (404 reputation)Supercharged (404 reputation)Supercharged (404 reputation)Supercharged (404 reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
Those rods should never bend if they are adjusted right. The opposite side rod would have to stretch for that to happen. They are incredibly strong in tension. You have something else wrong. Your contralateral rod is not tight, your contralateral stabilizer is loose or broken ( I’ve done that launching) maybe your contralateral frame mount has broken. These are not “support” rods they are stabilizer rods they work in tension, not compression. MIKE

Mike, still lovin his 57 t'bird after 53 years!
ian57tbird
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
One of the rods has been weld repaired on mine. I have new replacements. Another one of those jobs I'll get to that one day.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter