Profile Picture

Turning signal wiring problem

Posted By Tim Quinn 4 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Problem: Turning signal wiring is messed up. Followed the diagram in the manual, all wires in the top match the wires in the bottom (see diagram)
But, when you put the RH turning signal on, both taillights and the licence plate light start flashing on and off. Pull out the orange/blue wire and only the RH
front turning signal works.
LH signal works no matter, no problem with the LH side.
Any suggestion as to what the problem could be ?
Regards,
Tim
Central Florida 33706http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/b09c51c5-54e4-406c-88e0-b6b7.jpg
panel driver
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (300 reputation)Supercharged (300 reputation)Supercharged (300 reputation)Supercharged (300 reputation)Supercharged (300 reputation)Supercharged (300 reputation)Supercharged (300 reputation)Supercharged (300 reputation)Supercharged (300 reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
My guess would be to check and make sure the ground is good for the right side.  Connect a test light to ground and touch the housing with the
light turned on. The test light should not light.  Just an idea.  

Located in Harford County Maryland 
Tim Quinn
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)

Thanks, I'll try that.
Might mention that when I hit the brakes, the RH brake light flashes while the LH brake light that used to flash at the same time, stops flashing.
Real mystery here. But one that can be solved with help from the Y-block Help Group.
Regards,
Tim
Mud Key Fl 33706http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/e8e0bcc7-df8c-46f9-8ddb-d962.jpg
MoonShadow
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)

Last Active: 1 hour ago
Commonly with everything wired correctly it a ground problem. There is a cross wire in my 56 Vicky and I've checked and rechecked it way too many times. Wires are correct but the parking lights come on with the brake lights. The rest is fine.

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

MoonShadow, 292 w/McCulloch, 28 Chrysler Roadster, 354 Hemi)
Manchester, New Hampshire
paul2748
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: 6 hours ago
Double xcheck the junction block.  Some of the holes are connected to others and some are single.  A mix up might cause your problem.  Make sure you don't have the top and bottom confused.

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

55charliebird
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)

.Nothing worse than a "man made" wiring error.  It defies all logic.  I would start from scratch.  Disconnect all wiring and start putting it back,  one "leg" at a time'.  At each point, re check the function until the problem comes back.  
MoonShadow
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)

Last Active: 1 hour ago
In the dark recesses of my faulty memory I think I remember the front parking lights with brake lights being a fairly common problem. It seems that the "old guys" knew which wire to switch to fix it easily but no amount of checking or rewiring the connection has worked for me yet. At least the people in front of me know when my brakes are on! Smile

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

MoonShadow, 292 w/McCulloch, 28 Chrysler Roadster, 354 Hemi)
Manchester, New Hampshire
Tim Quinn
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP
TIM
Tim Quinn
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Did all that, will do again.
Thanks,
Tim
DryLakesRacer
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Everything worked perfectly in my 56. I removed everything I could for a body strip and paint. I tested as I went back together. The rear turn/brake acted crazy. I added a ground to everything and no better. I found a poor connection in the fuse holder going to the flasher. (One of the few fuses they have) After the connection was good everything worked perfectly. I didn’t need to fix any grounds...

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter