Profile Picture

Turning signal wiring problem

Posted By Tim Quinn 4 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Yesterday
So are the Lights working with the LED Bulbs? Thinking about doing Mine especially the B/U Lights. Glad You figured it out. Electrical Problems are a Pain. Give Me mechanical Problems anytime before  Electrical.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg
MoonShadow
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.5K reputation)Supercharged (7.5K reputation)Supercharged (7.5K reputation)Supercharged (7.5K reputation)Supercharged (7.5K reputation)Supercharged (7.5K reputation)Supercharged (7.5K reputation)Supercharged (7.5K reputation)Supercharged (7.5K reputation)

Last Active: 27 minutes ago
I tried a set or two of the led's. In my 56 with the faux Mercury tail lights  they don't really look any brighter. Same thing in the roadster with regular round hot rod tail lights. They didn't work at all well in my Dodge van. The brake lights had a habit of stopping to function. If I removed and flipped the bulbs they would work for a while and the quit. Rather than take the chance of running without brake lights I removed them. I've been told that the wiring and grounds are probably the culprit. Who knows?

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

MoonShadow, 292 w/McCulloch, 28 Chrysler Roadster, 354 Hemi)
Manchester, New Hampshire
charliemccraney
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: Yesterday
A problem with LED bulbs has to do with the nature of the LED.  They are much more directional than an incandescent bulb.  With incandescent, light is output nearly as a sphere, which allows light to be, in part directed at a target, but also reflected and focused in a particular way.  An LED emits light only in a cone shape, which is fairly narrow.  Output from an LED can be very bright straight on but you'll notice that the intensity diminishes not far to the side.  The result is that a poorly designed LED bulb will not utilize the reflector properly and be able to direct the light as the engineers intended.  The technology is advancing so there may be a good solution eventually so don't write them off entirely.

I have LED headlights in my car and truck and they work very well so far BUT they were designed as such, not a retrofit of something like an H4 assembly - the down side, if one does go out, I have to replace the entire headlight.  It's like a sealed beam but a lot more expensive.

Lawrenceville, GA
Tim Quinn
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
I put the LED's back and they are working perfectly. Day time brightness is great, much brighter than conventional bulbs, good safety feature.
Again, thanks to you and all the Y-Blockers who gave advice.
Tim
Waiting Room for Heaven
Florida, 33706
55charliebird
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)

Good job.  As I said before "man made problems are the worst to find"...……….IBM engineer,,,,,,,,,,,,, trust me, I've been there.

DryLakesRacer
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
Tim, did you change flashers? Is yours the old round one? I saw a you tube on a problem using LEDs because of the way our flashers are wired and worked. How about your LED brand and cost? The you tube guy said something about using cheap ones.. thanks..

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
Tim Quinn
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)

Hey Mr D.L. Racer,
It has been about 3.5 years since the LED's were installed.
I'll have to look through my receipts for the last 3.5 years for an answer to your questions.
I'll get back to you if and when I find what I'm looking for.
Later,
Tim
HOT 'N HUMID, FLORIDA
Tim Quinn
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

RE: LED's for tail lights.
They came from,
SUPER BRIGHT LED's INC
4400 EARTH CITY EXPRESSWAY
ST LOUIS, MISSOURI 63045
TEL:  314 972 6200  FAX: 314 972 6202
PART 3 1157-919-WV RED 100 DEGREES..... $3.95 EA X 2 =$7.90 = FREIGHT $3.02 TOTAL $10.92
N.B. (NOTE WELL) These were what they cost 3.5 years ago

Good Luck
Tim
Florida

DryLakesRacer
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
I asked because I, like others, here are always looking for something better and if it can protect our cars from an accident that’s even better. I’ve put lights in my rear upper reflectors hoping that will help too. After 3-1/2 years and no electrical problem on yours it looks like a good idea... Thanks for the info..

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
marvh
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (615 reputation)Supercharged (615 reputation)Supercharged (615 reputation)Supercharged (615 reputation)Supercharged (615 reputation)Supercharged (615 reputation)Supercharged (615 reputation)Supercharged (615 reputation)Supercharged (615 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
I have found helpful to brighten the lights is to spray paint the inside  of the  taillight reflector with chrome paint. 

Reading This Topic

Site Meter