Profile Picture

Wiring for 6v AM Radio

Posted By Half-dude 4 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (555 reputation)Supercharged (555 reputation)Supercharged (555 reputation)Supercharged (555 reputation)Supercharged (555 reputation)Supercharged (555 reputation)Supercharged (555 reputation)Supercharged (555 reputation)Supercharged (555 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
Hey guys,
I've got an original unmodified 6v radio for my Fairlane. The last few years it hasn't been hooked up and has no speaker, I just got it to fill out the front of the dash ya know. But I'm thinking of attempting to hook it up, I'm curious to see if the old radio still works or not. I can't really find any instructions on the wiring though online, but I know it's pretty simple so I should be able to figure it out I just wanted to ask some questions to be sure
The wire coming out the left side with the in-line fuse (not sure what rated fuse it uses, no fuse came with it) is main power and that will connect to the accessories terminal on the ignition
The other wire coming out the left side that the ford manual calls a 'pilot wire' I'm guessing is for the backlight? So I figure it plugs somewhere into the headlight switch? Not as sure with that one.

My car also doesn't have an antenna, but I read how you can attach your antenna wire the body of the car, ground it and use the body of the car as an antenna.

oldcarmark
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
The Pilot Light plugs into a female Terminal in the Harness near the Radio Location. If U use a Test Light to find live Terminal with Headlight switch on U can plug into it.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg
Tedster
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
It would be very unlikely that the radio works at all at this point. Most people worry about the vacuum tubes. The chief bugaboo in vintage electronics (and modern electronics) is the power supply electrolytic capacitors. These are not expensive and straightforward to replace. Vacuum tubes are plentiful and cheap, at least for old car radios. Replacing them is usually a waste of money. Any waxed paper coupling and bypass type foil capacitors would need replacing as well.

Phil's Old Radios has a "beginner section" on what should (and shouldn't) be done.

https://antiqueradio.org
55 GLASS TOP
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)

Most likely you will have to replace the vibrator use a solid state one you will get better results the tubes might be bad but the old vibrators usually are an issue. You should hear a low buzz or hum when you turn on the radio . 
Half-dude
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (555 reputation)Supercharged (555 reputation)Supercharged (555 reputation)Supercharged (555 reputation)Supercharged (555 reputation)Supercharged (555 reputation)Supercharged (555 reputation)Supercharged (555 reputation)Supercharged (555 reputation)

Tedster (5/17/2020)
Phil's Old Radios has a "beginner section" on what should (and shouldn't) be done.
https://antiqueradio.org

Thanks for the link, very helpful! Does anyone know what kind of fuse the radio would use though? Also what gauge electrical wire?
DryLakesRacer
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

An AWG 16 is plenty for a radio feed and a 7 to 10 amp fuse maximum.
I’m not sure on a 55 but my 56 had a grommet hole right behind the hinge on the right side for a fender antenna. I did not want to drill a hole in my fender so I made an angle bracket and mounted a stock style antenna below the passenger side between the frame and body edge. I used a loose fitting zip-ty near the end to keep it from touching the body mounting. Been there 8 years with no problems and good reception.

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
Half-dude
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Thank you very much for that info, very helpful!
I wonder if a tiny little antenna like this fitted sideways underneath the dash would work okay.
https://www.ebay.com/i/223571819301?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=223571819301&targetid=883484275562&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9023247&poi=&campaignid=9343999134&mkgroupid=101452701304&rlsatarget=pla-883484275562&abcId=1139336&merchantid=6296724&gclid=Cj0KCQjwzZj2BRDVARIsABs3l9LxpjPJqggigvrBEIR6SJRyjpbkNZu25BBBZzKqLY1UOJ3IBV7AifsaAqU8EALw_wcB
DryLakesRacer
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

I tried that first... didn’t work very good so l mounted under the passenger door.

Half-dude
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Will a modern antenna connector work on those old radios or is it a whole different connector? It's been awhile since I saw my Ford radio, I'm planning on taking it out tomorrow.

https://sc02.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1YruTSVXXXXaRXpXXq6xXFXXXm.jpg
DryLakesRacer
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

I had my stock radio converted the AM/FM/ Bluetooth etc. and it still used the same plug in so I’m guess yes. I did need to use the same Original style connectors to the light and power under the dash.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter