Profile Picture

New video of my 59 f100

Posted By ianmatt 4 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (254 reputation)Supercharged (254 reputation)Supercharged (254 reputation)Supercharged (254 reputation)Supercharged (254 reputation)Supercharged (254 reputation)Supercharged (254 reputation)Supercharged (254 reputation)Supercharged (254 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
Howdy all, I shot a new video of my 59 this evening. I have had this truck for 5 years now and its been a long journey. I accidentally stumbled on a true barn find and had the truck towed home, not realizing it would be the begging of and amazing love affair and would affirm a true passion for learning and classic cars. i love my truck. One thing i am hoping to show in the video is how i have the PCV routed at the moment and if this is ok. I do a start up idle and revs half way through. Still lots to do. I really need to figire out how to set the windshield wipers to face to the inside and not outwards how the PO had them. Also still need some wiring re-ran and cleaned up. this weekend i will attempt installing the new powermaster mini starter i purchased. I'm timid of messing up the wiring or the shimming it may need. I did the new MSD dizzy last weekend and that was a first. I was scared to do it and i did pull the oil rod out with old dizzy but i got it all back together and its running amazing. Well i hope you guys dig it and I look forward to your feedback. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vm_iydhoznA&feature=youtu.be
Cliff
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Last Active: 11 hours ago
Nice truck
capelo
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (612 reputation)Supercharged (612 reputation)Supercharged (612 reputation)Supercharged (612 reputation)Supercharged (612 reputation)Supercharged (612 reputation)Supercharged (612 reputation)Supercharged (612 reputation)Supercharged (612 reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
🍻😊👍
miker
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
That's a nice truck, and your attention to detail shows. Great job. Its probably my old eyes and a small screen, but I can't pick out the PCV system. I see the oil fill cap to the air cleaner, and the vent in the valve cover. I think I saw a PCV valve back by the distributor, but I can't be sure, and can't see where it's routed.

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
ianmatt
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (254 reputation)Supercharged (254 reputation)Supercharged (254 reputation)Supercharged (254 reputation)Supercharged (254 reputation)Supercharged (254 reputation)Supercharged (254 reputation)Supercharged (254 reputation)Supercharged (254 reputation)

Kent thats all i have is the breather in the valve cover and the oil cap to air cleaner. Is this sufficient for keeping the pressure out of the crank case? I am also curious if it is healthy for the engine to have the valve cover breather. i dont see them on many y-blocks. Thats not a vacuum leak of sorts is it? Thank you
oldcarmark
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
Do U still have the Road Draft Tube operational?

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg
miker
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Here's a link to one of many old posts on PCV. Near the end is a diagram of the original Ford system.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic144832-1.aspx

miker
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
ianmatt
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

No the road draft is blocked off. I had a PCV valve on the valve cover but i felt it leaned my carb out way too much. I even had hose clamps on the hose to restrict the air flow. It would also totally change the exhaust note just on the drivers side so I felt it wasn't a proper setup. I could invest in the valley cover from Mummert that has the PCV provision. It seems to be the ideal setup.
DryLakesRacer
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Your truck never came with a PCV system. When new, when you drove the tube cut at a 45 degree angle attached the back of the valley cover on your truck, sucked vapors out of the engine. The end of the tube was down by the starter. The air entered thru the breather on the oil fill tube.
The way you have it now is the air entering the carburetor is sucking the vapor in the engine as you drive with the supply coming from the air vent you installed on the left side valve cover.
What you have is an easy way to keep vapors/smell down on a good running engine; but on a bad blowby engine would really mess up a carburetor.

I have exact system on my 56 292. I still have the road draft tube and it’s where my air comes from. I have the same oil fill breath you have with the hose feeding right in front of the front barrels of the carb. Is it right? I personally don’t care it’s sucking enough to keep my engine compartment clean and no smell. My carburetor shows no negative effect after 4 years.

If you choose to put a PVC valve off a 1962, which would attach at the spot where your road draft tube now goes, and have the vapor go in to the carburetor at that spot the Edelbrock has for it, I would still keep your hose from the oil fill cap and seal off the valve cover...

Nice truck... good luck...

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
miker
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Blocking the road draft is not the answer, you need positive airflow thru the engine. Positive Crankcase Ventilation - PCV. Read that whole post, it's long but worth it. It addresses location, baffles, PCV valve selections, etc. you can do that with Mummert's cover or the stock one.

miker
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ

Reading This Topic

Site Meter