Profile Picture

292 stock Intake manifold

Posted By C.E. Carroll 4 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Hitting on all eight cylinders

Hitting on all eight cylinders (10 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (10 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (10 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (10 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (10 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (10 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (10 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (10 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (10 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Years Ago
I am rebuilding my 1959 Ford truck 292 and down to the carburetor.  Looking at the 2bbl and the plenum inlets of the intake, it looks to me like there would not be a good fuel/air passage.  The intake plenum is larger and I would think a designed spacer with tapered ports should be used.  Maybe I am over thinking this but in my past life nozzles did not have sharp turns and flat surfaces to obstruct the gas passage.  A diverging gas passage would seem to be correct.
PF Arcand
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Weeks Ago
Maybe others on here will have a better feel for what you are trying to get at, but the Plenum is "larger" than what?  If you are comparing that intake to other V-8s (?) keep in mind the ports are stacked, not side by side as in other V-8s. And the fuel mixture is mixed in the carbs venturies, there is no "nozzle" as in fuel injection. Granted the intake is a somewhat crude casting, but it probably works well for use in a truck engine, where you want good torque at lower RPMs.  Also, the top design of a Y-Block has more even length intake runners than other side by side V-8s...        

Paul
Ted
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 days ago
 I’m guessing that on the spacer that you have in mind would be a reverse taper where the top inlet holes match the carburetor while the lower hole dimension matches the inlet hole size in the intake.  If that’s the case, then it’s a ‘Yes’ in that you could do that.   The amount of benefit if any with a small 2 barrel carb would be subtle.  There are those instances where having a ledge in the intake flow is actually beneficial as it further helps to atomize the air/fuel mixture and especially in the low rpm band.  This sounds like something that should be dyno tested to confirm if it’s worth the trouble in doing.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

FORD DEARBORN
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
I'll try to post a couple pics of how I accomplished what Ted described above.  In my case, it's a Holley 600cfm that has a larger throttle bore than the standard iron 4 barrel manifold. Being a truck, hood clearance wasn't an issue. The 1" aluminum spacer purchased from NPD matches the port size of the carburetor. The plastic composition spacer is a standard 1/2" 57 ford spacer I modified by tapering the holes at the top to transition larger matching the carburetor bore size. My thinking was to provide a smooth flow down the chute for whatever that may have been worth. It was relatively easy to do with off-the-shelf parts. Hope this helps, JEFF.........http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/29a408b1-e9cb-4fd2-a1c9-449a.jpghttp://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/ca7d8497-1740-4fda-8168-6824.jpg

64F100 57FAIRLANE500

Reading This Topic

Site Meter