Profile Picture

Valve cover studs (292).

Posted By 55charliebird 4 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Years Ago
ARE  THE VALVE COVER STUDS  (4 OF THEM) SUPPOSED TO  SCREW INTO THE CYLINDER HEAD THROUGH THE ROCKER ARM BRACKET OR ARE THEY JUST THERE TO HOLD ON THE VALVE COVERS?  THEY WAY I FOUND THEM WHEN I TOOK THE ROCKER SHAFTS OFF IS THAT THEY WERE NOT BEING USED TO HOLD THE ROCKER SHAFT BRACKETS ON  BUT JUST THERE TO HOLD THE VALVE COVERS ON.  SO IN REALITY I ONLY HAVE 6 BOLTS HOLDING EACH ROCKER SHAFT DOWN.  THANKS
NoShortcuts
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
'55charliebird.  The four studs used in securing the y-block valve covers to the cylinder heads are also supposed to be utilized for securing nuts that are tightened to assist in holding down the rocker arm bracket at each end of the two assemblies.

Hope this helps!   Smile

NoShortcuts
a.k.a. Charlie Brown
near Syracuse, New York
oldcarmark
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Weeks Ago
If You have the cast T-Bird Covers the stock Stud is not long enough to be screwed down tight in the Head and hold the Covers on. You need the longer replacement Studs sold for the Cast Covers.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg
capelo
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (612 reputation)Supercharged (612 reputation)Supercharged (612 reputation)Supercharged (612 reputation)Supercharged (612 reputation)Supercharged (612 reputation)Supercharged (612 reputation)Supercharged (612 reputation)Supercharged (612 reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
NoShortcuts
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)

'55charliebird.  GooD point that the 'Bird aluminum valve covers, which were optional all three years, required longer valve cover studs.  Likely the studs are available from all of the usual 'Bird supply vendors.  I noticed them recently at Mac's, too.

Perhaps, the previous mechanic secured the acorn nuts on the end of each stud then fed the assembly through the valve cover and into the rocker arm bracket to accomplish making it just long enough to secure into the cylinder head?  I'm speculating, and assuming that you have the optional 'Bird-only dress-up kit aluminum valve covers.

Isn't working on this old stuff fun!?!  Hehe

NoShortcuts
a.k.a. Charlie Brown
near Syracuse, New York
Florida_Phil
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

I've been messing around with YBlocks for over 50 years and I learn something new on this forum every day.  Smile

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

oldcarmark
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Weeks Ago
capelo (4/27/2020)

You can actually buy an "Installation Kit" for those Covers. Longer Studs, proper rubber insulator Washers and Chrome Washer which are different than used on Tin Covers. Might include retainer Nuts too, Try National Parts Depot under their T-Bird Parts. I find NPD is cheaper on a lot of Parts. I just checked NPD. They do sell a kit with new Gaskets, Studs, Rubber Washers, Chrome Steel Washers, and Chrome acorn Nuts. Parts are also available Individually.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg
55charliebird
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
IT APPEARS I DO HAVE THE DRESS UP KIT AND THE ALUMINUM RIBBED VALVE COVERS WITH THE CHROME NUTS.  PROBLEM SOLVED AND AS USUAL, CORRECTLY EXPLAINED BY YOU.    THANK YOU..  CHARLIE

Reading This Topic

Site Meter