Profile Picture

Retorque 292 head bolts to 75 lbs.

Posted By 55charliebird 4 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Years Ago
After run-in to get engine hot, can you retorque the head bolts to 75 ft. lbs without removing the rocker arms?  (the ends of the rocker arm shafts are interfering with head bolts ).  If you have to remove the rocker arms do you have to re adjust the valve lash again?  Thanks as always..

Hoosier Hurricane
This post has been flagged as an answer
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 44 minutes ago
You should re-adjust the valves anyway, re-torqueing the heads will move the heads closer to the block, affecting your initial adjustment.  The change will be very small however.

John - "The Hoosier Hurricane"
http://www.y-blocksforever.com/avatars/johnf.jpg
NoShortcuts
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
55charliebird.  John's info is what you want to do.  Re-torque the heads using the recommended bolt order sequence and check the valve lash setting after the engine is at operating temperature.  I usually take the rocker arm shafts off to torque the head bolts.  There is a tool that permits leaving the rocke rarm shafts in place to accomplish the re-torquing operation.  I think it looks like this . . .

Click the link below to see an adapter previously listed on eBay that looks about like what I recall is used
https://www.ebay.com/itm/122152420669?ul_noapp=true

Hope this helps!  Smile

NoShortcuts
a.k.a. Charlie Brown
near Syracuse, New York
Tedster
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
I think we should define our terms. I'd be interested in Ted's opinion and any others, on what they consider a "re-torque".

When I was in the .mil everything needed "retorques" until such time the fastener was shown to be stabilized. Probably more correctly described as a torque check, in that, the fastener was not loosened and "re-torqued" per se, simply checked for proper torque in the tightening direction. There is some difference of opinion on this with head bolts, and gasket manufacturers worked to obviate the need.

Anyhoo, the rocker shafts themselves are torqued at only 12-15 ft/lbs, but they too, will tend to need a check after a heat cycle or two. Crows feet or deep well are very useful here for some of them. Or those with a calibrated elbow just be sure to snug them up. It will affect valve lash, if only slightly.
Ted
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 days ago
My opinion regarding cylinder head bolt retorqing was asked for so here are my thoughts on the subject.  With the original steel shim head gaskets and grade six or less head bolts, a re-torque of the head bolts was a necessity after the engine had gone through some heat cycles.  I blame the grade four, five, and six head bolts for part of why that had to take place. Steel shim head gaskets by themselves are the other part of the problem and even with grade eight head bolts, can be problematic.

With the current crop of composition head gaskets and also using grade eight head bolts, I do not re-torque the cylinder head bolts after the initial engine assembly.  Zero head gasket issues on the Ford Y using the Best Gasket head gaskets but I have had issues with the Fel-Pro (Perma-torque) head gaskets with water seepage at the lower edge of the head gaskets.  Thirty plus years of not doing a re-torque of the head bolts on any engine has me reasonably comfortable with not making for extra work where it’s not required.  I do go to the extra effort in insuring that the head bolts are brought up in a stepped tightening sequence while also doing due diligence in maintaining an outward spiral pattern when tightening the bolts.  Using the appropriate lube on the bolts while also insuring that the torque wrench is accurate also helps.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Joe-JDC
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)

Last Active: 5 hours ago
When I was getting my Automotive Degree, I was taught if you wanted to re-torque the heads after engine break-in is finished, you only loosen one bolt at the time in proper sequence, and then snug it back so that you can do a single pull to torque value without stopping the pull on the torque wrench.  If you think about that, the other bolts are supposed to be torqued, and the one you loosen should not affect the head as a whole, and re-torqueing in a single complete pull makes sense.  You don't have to torque in steps on a single bolt.  It is sort of like doing a final pull in sequence to verify torque value has been satisfied.  Remember, the initial torque sequence should be done in steps to keep from cracking the head, or deforming the head gasket unevenly.  I do think it is not a bad idea to re-torque aluminum heads after a few heat cycles because the aluminum will deform at the bead around the bore and lose a small amount of tension. Joe-JDC

JDC
Lord Gaga
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)

Last Active: 12 hours ago
So the proper procedure is to loosen the bolt or nut first??

"FREE SAMPLE"
Joe-JDC
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)

When tightening a bolt with nut, hold the bolt still and tighten the nut.  Loosening is same procedure, hold the bolt still, unscrew the nut.  If you allow the bolt to turn it will score the shank, and cause a possible stress riser.  Washers have a flat side and a rounded side from the stamping process.  The flat side should always be placed against the object being secured, and the rounded side under the nut.  A bevel in the washer hole should be against the bolt head.  There is a lot more to this, but this is just a quick answer.    I was a Master Instructor in the USAF teaching Aircraft Maintenance on F-4s, F-15s, T-33s, worked civil service on B-52s, and had to teach proper use of hand tools as a basic step in becoming a certified Aircraft Crew Chief.  Joe-JDC 

JDC
Lord Gaga
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)

Last Active: 12 hours ago
Sorry, I should have been more clear. I meant specifically head bolts or nuts on head studs.
Loosen first?

"FREE SAMPLE"
Joe-JDC
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Same answer as above.  Loosen one head bolt/nut at a time, snug it and then torque in one full pull to torque value.  This is for re-torqueing them.  Use original sequence.  Joe-JDC

JDC

Reading This Topic

Site Meter