Profile Picture

Oil cooler

Posted By Rowen 4 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 4 Years Ago
I havent posted here for a while so, hello again fellas. Has anyone here installed an oil cooler? I can little into on this. I installed one for my 304 stroker and lost near half my oil pressure. Went from 60lbs cold to 40 and 45 warm to 20 and dropped as low as 15. Any experts with ideas how to handle this? I can give more specifics on the install if needed. Thanks in advance.

Rowen
55CV
Woodland, Ca
Ted
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 days ago
Line size in and out of the engine oil coolers is important.  The cooler construction is also a key player in that it needs be designed for engine oil and not be a transmission cooler being retrofitted for engine oil cooling use.  In theory you can get away with AN10 sized lines but I prefer AN12 for any external oil coolers or remote mounted oil filters.  If the total length away from the engine gets excessive, then additional oil flow may be required like a high volume oil pump.  Treat fluid flow just like you would when wiring with electricity.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Rowen
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)

Ted, thanks so much for the reply!! So here are some specifics on my install. The lines are 3/8" ID. Approx 7' total length. Remote filter near the top of the core support. Oil cooler on top of inner fender driver side using fresh air horn for cool outside air. Do you think going up to a 1/2ID line and getting the filter and cooler lower will fix the issue?

Rowen
55CV
Woodland, Ca
DryLakesRacer
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
May not mean anything but what brand of oil do you use? I ask because of experience with one brand and low oil pressure with no other explanation.

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
Rowen
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

My engine builder, John Beck said to use straight 30wt. That's what I've been using since new and no issues till I installed the cooler.

Rowen
55CV
Woodland, Ca
Joe-JDC
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)

Last Active: 28 minutes ago
I am curious as to why you need an oil cooler?  If the engine operating temperature is maintained with thermostat, then the need for an oil cooler is nil unless this is a tow vehicle that will be loaded for long periods of time.  Cool oil robs horsepower.  Joe-JDC

JDC
DryLakesRacer
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Rowen.... say hi to John for me the next time you see him... just say JD and he’ll start laughing. I’ve been friends with John and Dave Davidson for 25 years....
PS: oil brand referred to is Pennziol. I’m just one of many who went to zero at idle after 30-40 psi with other brands.

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
mark9088
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Turbocharged

Turbocharged (61 reputation)Turbocharged (61 reputation)Turbocharged (61 reputation)Turbocharged (61 reputation)Turbocharged (61 reputation)Turbocharged (61 reputation)Turbocharged (61 reputation)Turbocharged (61 reputation)Turbocharged (61 reputation)

on my supercharged Y I have the block water jackets filled over 1/2 way up the water pump holes for cylinder strength and rigidity for hi boost capability. While drag strip usage would probably not present a oil temp problem street/hiway driving could definitely be a problem.
I am attempting to retrofit the oil cooler/heat exchanger Ford used on the early 90's 5 liter mustang police specials to my y block. it basicly routes coolant from the bottom of the radiator pulled thru the cooler by the water pump..thus not effecting oil system at all. testing has been interupted do to health issues..http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/bdeff4c7-0768-4631-a9dd-c0d8.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/90f116af-b3cf-4452-823a-a9e5.jpg 

Ted
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 days ago
Rowen (4/22/2020)
Ted, thanks so much for the reply!! So here are some specifics on my install. The lines are 3/8" ID. Approx 7' total length. Remote filter near the top of the core support. Oil cooler on top of inner fender driver side using fresh air horn for cool outside air. Do you think going up to a 1/2ID line and getting the filter and cooler lower will fix the issue?

The 3/8” I.D. on your current lines is the equivalent of #6AN.   While that is suitable for gasoline, it’s too small for engine oil and especially with a seven foot length to contend with.  As the lines get longer, hose sizes must increase accordingly.  In looking at the pictures you provided, the fittings look to be additional restriction points.  While those fittings work okay for forklift hydraulic lines, they are unsuitable for what you are attempting to do.  As I mentioned earlier, #10AN (5/8”) would be the bare minimum and I always opt for using #12AN (3/4” I.D.) for any engine oil lines whether they are for a remote cooler, remote oil filter, or a dry sump oiling system.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Reading This Topic

Site Meter