Profile Picture

Aditional cooling holes to be added...Heads and block.

Posted By 55charliebird 4 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Years Ago
I just picked up a complete set of Fel-Pro overhaul gaskets for 292 block.  There is a note included with the set about adding additional holes in the block and heads between  the middle 2 cylinders on each side for additional water flow (cooling) of the inner cylinders (in case they don't already exist).  Anyone done this?  Any thoughts?  Im about ready to pull the heads and install new head gaskets....correctly.

DANIEL TINDER
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)

Last Active: 4 hours ago
I did it on the non-posted G heads installed on my (stored) backup motor, but subsequent info (Y-Block Mag. articles?) left me with the impression that labor wasn't needed. Might even unnecessarily weaken heads substantially milled to max. compression (?).

6 VOLTS/POS. GRD. NW INDIANA
darrell
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
it was more for trucks
blocky
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (307 reputation)Supercharged (307 reputation)Supercharged (307 reputation)Supercharged (307 reputation)Supercharged (307 reputation)Supercharged (307 reputation)Supercharged (307 reputation)Supercharged (307 reputation)Supercharged (307 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Months Ago
i have done it for the first time on the latest engine and no problems but i still think of the way i abused these engines as a young bloke in australian summers and never had any heating troubles.something to think about.
Ted
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Last Week
Those two ‘steam vent’ holes are notorious for getting stopped up so it’s debatable just how effective they are over the long haul.  They are vent holes and not cooling holes.  I'll add that I have come across Y heads that had cracks coming from those vent holes which mirrors what I see on the 400 SBC engines.  Because I deal with a majority of cylinder heads that do not have the vent holes in them, I make it a point to plug those holes in the blocks before machining the decks when those holes are present.

Here are a couple of links to past threads on the subject.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/FindPost80675.aspx

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic10608-1.aspx

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Reading This Topic

Site Meter