Profile Picture

1962 COM in a 55

Posted By junkyardjeff 4 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 4 days ago
I have located a 62 COM that came from behind a 292 to use in my 55,since I think its the first year of the green dot trans can I use a FMX valve body to give it the normal D21 shift pattern and will I need a 55/6 tail shaft housing to bolt on the 55 trans mount.

Butchering up everything I can get my hands on in Dayton Ohio
DryLakesRacer
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
I have a 62 t-bird COM Medium case behind my 56 292. We did not have all the original parts that went with it so the trans shop that did the work and was very very knowledgeable in these since the owner was in the business since the early 60’s he combined a lot of the 2. He used my flywheel and air cooled torque converter by changing the drive splines to the COM. I would be nice to have the COM out of a 292 pickup with all the correct parts.

To use the original speedo drive gear which went in at the bottom and not the top he machined the tail shaft housing out to take the larger yoke and seal. If he could have found a speedo drive for the COM he would not have done it. The trans he sold me did not have one.. no big deal to me.

The trans is water cooled and I already had the exchanger in a new radiator I had bought. So the trans and converter are double cooled.

The 62 is vacuum controlled so you need a intake line to the modulator. The old throttle pressure arm on the trans is just a kick down non and he put a slotted attachment to my linkage and I’ve adjusted it to only down shift at wide open throttle. Some say you don't need it but I wanted it

I made an extension on the column shift arm to give me an extra spot. He asked if I wanted 2-1-L or D1-D2-L which is called green dot. I chose that because I wanted it. I still need to take off the steering wheel and add about 1/8” to the detent so it will stay in park better. I choose to leave it in neutral with the e brake on. After sitting over a week the converter will bleed down sometimes and fill the governor rear housing but doesn’t leak, I just let it idle a minute and it’s perfect. The only leak I have is it dip stick tube filler at the trans.

The trans swap allowed me to swap the rear to a higher gear where I chose an Explorer 8.8 with 2.74 gear which was perfect for me and what I do with car

Would I do it again, probably not. I’d go to a C4 or GM 200R and change out the gas pedal. Photo of the shift indicator and the extension on the column if you can see it.

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
Hoosier Hurricane
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 6 hours ago
You can use the FMX valve body, but you will also have to switch the detent (often called a "rooster coomb" in the trade) with the one from the FMX.

John - "The Hoosier Hurricane"
http://www.y-blocksforever.com/avatars/johnf.jpg
junkyardjeff
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)

Hoosier Hurricane (4/15/2020)
You can use the FMX valve body, but you will also have to switch the detent (often called a "rooster coomb" in the trade) with the one from the FMX.

I have a complete FMX so I should have that part.

junkyardjeff
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

DryLakesRacer (4/14/2020)
I have a 62 t-bird COM Medium case behind my 56 292. We did not have all the original parts that went with it so the trans shop that did the work and was very very knowledgeable in these since the owner was in the business since the early 60’s he combined a lot of the 2. He used my flywheel and air cooled torque converter by changing the drive splines to the COM. I would be nice to have the COM out of a 292 pickup with all the correct parts.

To use the original speedo drive gear which went in at the bottom and not the top he machined the tail shaft housing out to take the larger yoke and seal. If he could have found a speedo drive for the COM he would not have done it. The trans he sold me did not have one.. no big deal to me.

The trans is water cooled and I already had the exchanger in a new radiator I had bought. So the trans and converter are double cooled.

The 62 is vacuum controlled so you need a intake line to the modulator. The old throttle pressure arm on the trans is just a kick down non and he put a slotted attachment to my linkage and I’ve adjusted it to only down shift at wide open throttle. Some say you don't need it but I wanted it

I made an extension on the column shift arm to give me an extra spot. He asked if I wanted 2-1-L or D1-D2-L which is called green dot. I chose that because I wanted it. I still need to take off the steering wheel and add about 1/8” to the detent so it will stay in park better. I choose to leave it in neutral with the e brake on. After sitting over a week the converter will bleed down sometimes and fill the governor rear housing but doesn’t leak, I just let it idle a minute and it’s perfect. The only leak I have is it dip stick tube filler at the trans.

The trans swap allowed me to swap the rear to a higher gear where I chose an Explorer 8.8 with 2.74 gear which was perfect for me and what I do with car

Would I do it again, probably not. I’d go to a C4 or GM 200R and change out the gas pedal. Photo of the shift indicator and the extension on the column if you can see it.

I do have a 62 flywheel so I am going to use all the 62 parts,the more I think about it I will use the 62 tail shaft since I do have a 65 speedo cable and modify the trans mount. It presently has a pan filled C-4 that will have to be rebuilt again if I want to take it to Florida in november but the adapter will most likely cost more then having the COM rebuilt and will use the C-4 for a future project.

junkyardjeff
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Picked up the 62 COM but it did not have a bellhousing or torque converter,no big deal since a 55 air cooled bellhousing bolts right on and the torque converter from the 67 FMX will work but will have to have the 62 flywheel drilled for it and get a spacer for the crank but will try to find a 62 converter.  The shift arm should work but I noticed the kick down lever is not removable so there is a 70s truck with a FMX that has the lever that will work and a removable kick down lever so I can use a Lokar kick down cable.

Hoosier Hurricane
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 6 hours ago
The kickdown lever is removable, but from the inside.  You will have to remove the valve body to access the nut on the kickdown lever shaft.  FMX kickdown levers are installed the same way as COM.

John - "The Hoosier Hurricane"
http://www.y-blocksforever.com/avatars/johnf.jpg
junkyardjeff
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Looks like I better order the cable now before I start changing parts.

junkyardjeff
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Found out my 62 flywheel is for the 2 speed automatic and only has three holes for the converter but new ones are available and might have the torque converter located.

kevink1955
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
I have the opposite going on, I have the 4 bolt flex plate (still need the reinforcing ring) but the convertor I found on E-Bay a while back turned out to be for the aluminum 2 speed not the cast iron Cruse o Matic.   I was going to use the front half of the Cruse O in the FMX but now think (if I ever get to it) I will use an FMX convertor for a small block and have a bushing made to correct for the smaller pilot to Y block crank.  Will also need to redrill the flex plate for the small block pattern.

This project has been in the works for so long that I may start my Dirt Nap before I start the conversion.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter