Profile Picture

Modern 5 speed plus for a Y-Block

Posted By MoonShadow 4 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Yesterday
I sent an EMAIL to Bendtsen asking about adapters to a new style transmission. The told me that any transmission from behind a modular motor could be made to fit the AOD adapter with little effort. Has anyone taken a look at this or considered it?

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

MoonShadow, 292 w/McCulloch, 28 Chrysler Roadster, 354 Hemi)
Manchester, New Hampshire
miker
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: 5 days ago
I don't keep up much on the modern Ford stuff. Could you enlighten me a bit on the "transmission behind a modular motor". Just curious about the possibilities.

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
MoonShadow
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)

I guess I never actually knew what that meant either. I found this from Wikipedia.
The Ford Modular engine is Ford Motor Company's overhead camshaft (OHC) V8 and V10 gasoline-powered small block engine family. The Modular engine received the name from its design and sharing of certain parts among the engine family, starting with the 4.6L in 1990 for the 1991 model year. The name was also derived from a manufacturing plant protocol, "Modular", where the plant and its tooling could be changed in a few hours to manufacture different versions of the engine family.[1] The Modular engines are used in various Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury vehicles. Modular engines used in Ford trucks were marketed under the Triton name from 1997–2010 while the InTech name was used for a time at Lincoln for vehicles equipped with DOHC versions of the engines. The engines were first produced in Romeo, Michigan then additional capacity was added in Windsor, Ontario.

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

pegleg
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
They all require an ECU to operate. The Aod's were the last hydraulically operated Ford transmissions.

Frank/Rebop

Bristol, In ( by Elkhart) 

panel driver
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (300 reputation)Supercharged (300 reputation)Supercharged (300 reputation)Supercharged (300 reputation)Supercharged (300 reputation)Supercharged (300 reputation)Supercharged (300 reputation)Supercharged (300 reputation)Supercharged (300 reputation)

I used the Bendtsen adapter with a aod with real good success.  I would use a flex plate stiffener if you do it.   

Located in Harford County Maryland 
MoonShadow
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

I've been using the  Bendtsen adapter for many years. It's been dependable and was worth the money. Just getting curious about the new transmissions. The adapter came with the plate for the center of the flex plate. My only complaint is that you must use the high torque starters. Basically its the same starter as the SBC high torque but without the aluminum end plate. It bolts directly to the adapter. Problem almost every year I have to pull it out and clean it up or have it rebuilt. It gets full of sludge and water. Seems to not be an uncommon problem with them but I don't know why. I talked to some racers that use them and said they take them out for winter storage.

Y's guys rule!

panel driver
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (300 reputation)Supercharged (300 reputation)Supercharged (300 reputation)Supercharged (300 reputation)Supercharged (300 reputation)Supercharged (300 reputation)Supercharged (300 reputation)Supercharged (300 reputation)Supercharged (300 reputation)

I have had mine for about 4 years,  have not had a problem.  Just saying.  

MoonShadow
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

There is one transmission but I never seem to be able to remember what it is. Its a late model the same as the E40D but it doesn't require the ECU. They were found behind small block V8's in larger sedans. I'd love to get my hands on one of them someday. They have all the upgrades made to the AOD and E40D but no computer.

Y's guys rule!

panel driver
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

I used a aod out of a 1990 lincoln town car. It's an aod not a aode does not have a control unit. Used it with the bentsens adapter kit. 
The throttle valve cable for throttle pressure to trans is the hardest part to get just right. I think all the latest upgrades to the trans were 
done from late 89 on.  I am using stock rear end gear of 3.92 with a 28.5 in rear tire. My rpms at 70 mph are about 2200 rpm. 

Reading This Topic

Site Meter