Profile Picture

Tremec TKO 5 spd vs. Mustang T-5

Posted By Rono 4 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Question Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
I know there are huge differences internally between the 2 transmissions, but does anyone make an adapter for the TKO 5 speed? And if not, why not? Is it just that the need has not been there? With the HP and torque we are getting out of some of our Y Block builds, it's likely a Mustang T-5 wouldn't hold up. What are the major issues in mounting behind a Y-Block regarding bolt pattern and rear trans cross member?

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/4a19e870-e870-4f63-a0a4-db5b.jpg  Ron Lane,  Meridian, ID

charliemccraney
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: Yesterday
My guess is two part.
One, while we know the power they can produce, many are still ignorant and if presented with the need for use of transmissions with higher torque capability, most in the business of making such adapters would simply ignore it and possibly think that you are nuts.
Two, like most Y parts, there just isn't the market for it to justify the costs involved when a company may already offer plenty of other products that are paying the bills.

Things like that will generally have to come from enthusiasts, but will most likely be custom solutions.

I think the primary reason that a T-5 is an option is simply that the same 3 speed transmission pattern was used for quite a while and was in use on mainstream engines long enough that there is a good market for the 3 speed to T5 adapter.  While I am aware that Y-specific adapters for 3 speed to T5 have been made, those were niche products / solutions and not something that you can get from almost any catalog.

Lawrenceville, GA
FORD DEARBORN
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)

Last Active: 6 days ago
It may be worth a look at the present Y-block 3 speed to T5 adapter. Since that adapter uses drilled/tapped holes for studs to secure the T5's upper corners, perhaps it could be modified for the TKO trans. I have no idea what the dimensions of the TKO are but it would be worth looking at this because there may be more of us Y-blockers interested in this adaption. Because I recently corrected my bell housing alignment I have a picture handy to post which shows the two upper studs screwed into the adapter along with the countersunk bolt securing the adapter to the bell housing. The bearing retainer and many other dimensions of the TKO would also need to be considered as well.  Please ignore all the scribbling on the adapter. Hope this helps andhttp://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/e0b49176-cf25-4571-bbd5-40dd.jpg stay safe,  JEFF...................

64F100 57FAIRLANE500
FORD DEARBORN
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)

I didn't intend for the pic to post sideways, sorry.

64F100 57FAIRLANE500
Rono
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)

Jeff;
So there are different bell housing bolt patterns for standard Y tranny's? I only knew about car vs. truck differences.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/4a19e870-e870-4f63-a0a4-db5b.jpg  Ron Lane,  Meridian, ID

Rono
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

I had to try to think back 20 years and then remembered my T-98 in my 56 pick-up. Guess there are different bolt patterns for the bell housings.

FORD DEARBORN
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Rono, to my  knowledge, there are 2 different trans bolt patterns for the Y-block truck as you remembered correctly. My 64 truck bell housing is the standard small pattern 3 speed trans which is the same pattern for passenger cars, in this instance. So the adapter pictured could possibly be used to fit a T5 to a car if the input shaft is the proper length along with a few other things. 

64F100 57FAIRLANE500
suede57ford
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (474 reputation)Supercharged (474 reputation)Supercharged (474 reputation)Supercharged (474 reputation)Supercharged (474 reputation)Supercharged (474 reputation)Supercharged (474 reputation)Supercharged (474 reputation)Supercharged (474 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
I have had to upgrade to the larger TKO as T5's were blowing up in my car.   The TKO has a larger mounting flange so the traditonal T5 to bell adapter does not have enough material to make work.   I had a custom one made several years ago for mine and I used a T5 type adpater to help make a pattern.   I think a company is making an adapter for 3350/TKO now.  I purchased one awhile back but haven't tried it.  I'll see if I can find the source as they had adapters for all kind of trans swaps.

Pat Fleischman

Rono
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

That would be awesome, Thanks! Is the rear trans mount on the TKO at all similar to the T-5 ?

Ted
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 days ago
Quicktime offers a couple of different bellhousings for the Ford Y.  One of those permits the Tremec transmissions to bolt up without an adapter.  By the time you get the appropriate flywheel and starter, the changeover to one of these can get expensive.  Here are links for both.

https://www.holley.com/products/drivetrain/bellhousings/ford/parts/RM-8055 

https://www.holley.com/products/drivetrain/bellhousings/ford/parts/RM-8056

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/1fd79989-6dd4-4bfd-9e47-3398.jpg 

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Reading This Topic

Site Meter