Profile Picture

T10

Posted By 87notch 4 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
First Time Poster

First Time Poster (4 reputation)First Time Poster (4 reputation)First Time Poster (4 reputation)First Time Poster (4 reputation)First Time Poster (4 reputation)First Time Poster (4 reputation)First Time Poster (4 reputation)First Time Poster (4 reputation)First Time Poster (4 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 4 Years Ago
I have a small pattern T10 that I’m wanting to put behind my y block in a 30 model a. The engine has a front mount and the bell housing mounts for a truck. What do I need to do to make these work together? I keep getting mixed info on input shafts etc. My T10 has the shifter mounts at the front of the tail shaft near the shift levers.
paul2748
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: 8 hours ago
Two main items to consider.  First the length of the input shaft to the pilot bushing.  If the shaft is short, the you will have to make up a custom pilot bushing.  If too long, you will have to trim it to fit.  Measure twice, cut once.

Second is the front bearing retainer - it may be too big around to fit in the Yblock bell housing.  You can trim it to fit.  I doubt it will be too small for the Y Bell, but I am not sure of the size of the T10 retainer. 

I put a toploader in back of the 312 in my 54.  I had to trim the length of the shaft and trim the retainer.  The trans was from a small block.  Big block toploaders had a shorter shaft, don't know if this is the case with a T-10.

The other thing that I remember was a small problem was the driven gear at the end of the speedo cable.  There are two different tooth orientations so be sure to get the right one.

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

miker
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
I'll second what Paul said. I've shortened input shafts on a T5, and turned down front bearings on Ford top loader.

The top loader with the bushing turned down lined up on 2 bolt holes. I used the 2 that didn't to line up a drill bit for center and then drilled on those centers for the right size to tap new bolt hole. Not a big deal.

To shorten the input shaft (T5) we fitted the trans to the bell and engine and measured where it bottomed out. Then cut the input shaft.
We clamped the trans to the bench, taped off the front bearing to stop debris, and my buddy used a cut off wheel while I turned the tail shaft yoke. We checked it without the crankshaft bearing using clay, measured twice, did a light trim and chamfered the end of the shaft. Not rocket science and didn't tear the trans down. Been working for years.

Some or all of this may apply.

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ

Reading This Topic

Site Meter