Profile Picture

Radiator hoses

Posted By stuey 4 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (830 reputation)Supercharged (830 reputation)Supercharged (830 reputation)Supercharged (830 reputation)Supercharged (830 reputation)Supercharged (830 reputation)Supercharged (830 reputation)Supercharged (830 reputation)Supercharged (830 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Months Ago
Hi everybody
 Hope you are all safe and well.
 Have you got any tips tricks for getting radiator hoses to seal? 
I always have problems in that they weep. I keep tightening the clamps to the point I think the tubes are going to collapse.
Using Mikalor clamps.
Thanks
stuey

Joe-JDC
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)

Last Active: 4 hours ago
I always take a fine flat file and go around the water pump inlet and remove any rough casting, then sand with a piece of 100 grit sandpaper for metal.  Spray on a splash of paint, and let dry.  Install hoses and tighten snug.  On the thermostat housing, same routine.  No leaks.  Joe-JDC

JDC
30 coupe
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (312 reputation)Supercharged (312 reputation)Supercharged (312 reputation)Supercharged (312 reputation)Supercharged (312 reputation)Supercharged (312 reputation)Supercharged (312 reputation)Supercharged (312 reputation)Supercharged (312 reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
joe, I think that he is referring to where the hose clamps to the radiator, but the same principal applies. try to work all dings and dents out of the outlet on the radiator before putting the hose on. not really recommended, but I have in the past put a THIN coating  of the right stuff on the outlet , then put the hose on. If you tighten the clamp and let it sit until the stuff is dry ( overnight ) then fill the radiator it will not leak. It will be really difficult to remove the hose in the future, and you will probably have to cut it off. you learn this stuff in the middle of nowhere , Alaska.  Like I say not a recommended fix , but it works, and if done neatly you cannot tell that there is sealer  there .  I am sure there will be some comments about not to do this, but like I said when you are in the middle of nowhere, it works, and not just short term.
blocky
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (307 reputation)Supercharged (307 reputation)Supercharged (307 reputation)Supercharged (307 reputation)Supercharged (307 reputation)Supercharged (307 reputation)Supercharged (307 reputation)Supercharged (307 reputation)Supercharged (307 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Months Ago
hi i have used a light film of aviation type sealant in extreme cases . also a lot of swearing can help cheers!
stuey
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (830 reputation)Supercharged (830 reputation)Supercharged (830 reputation)Supercharged (830 reputation)Supercharged (830 reputation)Supercharged (830 reputation)Supercharged (830 reputation)Supercharged (830 reputation)Supercharged (830 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
Thanks for the replies.
 I was getting leaks from the top hose, no problems on the lower, at the thermostat housing and the radiator end. The radiator is aluminimum so I am cautious regarding possibly collapsing the tube.
I'll go with the file and emery at the thermostat and a smidge of sealant on the radiator.
Many thanks
stuey
Lord Gaga
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
On coolant hoses I always use a smear of silicone lube. NAPA "Sil-Glide" I think is the name.
Seems to help prevent leaks and makes installation and removal EZ!

"FREE SAMPLE"
PF Arcand
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Re above  lube - is also sold in a tube, as AGS Sil Glyde. A light non or little staining lube recommended for brake parts lube etc. Does not rot rubber or neopreme..

Paul
DryLakesRacer
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
I can get the worm style clamps to seal but not the originals which I’d like to use. Tried grease and lubriplate.

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter